After tilt test ?

Hello ,

Today my tilt test took place ....and I was finally diagnosed with pots ! 

Almost immediately the Dr diagnosed me , because my heart rate skyrocketed. 

I'm very happy I finally have a diagnosis..

However I did not passout/faint ..

Which is most likely a good thing. 

But I faint quite often so I was shocked it didn't take place during the rest, but I was having what I consider a " good day" that may be the reason I didn't faint .

My question is does pots cause fainting on its own or is it most likely something else involved ? 

Thank you 

@Always_anastasia - you do not have to faint with POTS, as far as I remember only 30% of POTS patients faint. I personally do faint but I have both POTS and NCS ( neuro-cardiogenic syncope, also a dysautonomia ). In my case the fainting is caused by a sudden drop in HR following the tachycardia. 

I am happy you got a diagnosis, I know how important that is to know that there actually IS something wrong with you! But getting diagnosed is only half the struggle - now you need treatment and that can be a frustratingly long journey.  It takes a lot of hit-and-miss b/c there are so many causes for POTS and they all respond differently to medications.  Often the first med is a betablocker, for both POTS and NCS. However - it is important to follow the recommended increases in water/ salt intake and wear compression stockings. 

There is a good book that explains what happens in syncope, and it is written in plain English b/c it was written for patients. It is " THE FAINTING PHENOMENON" by Dr Blair Grubb, MD.  Another good resource for patients is the book " THE DYSAUTONOMIA PROJECT ", which was written for both patients and physicians and is a magnificent source of information. You can get it at the website with the same name and both of them at amazon. 

I wish you the best of luck and a rapid improvement of your symptoms. Please keep us updated on your progress!!!! 

On 2/22/2020 at 4:20 AM, Pistol said:

@Always_anastasia - you do not have to faint with POTS, as far as I remember only 30% of POTS patients faint. I personally do faint but I have both POTS and NCS ( neuro-cardiogenic syncope, also a dysautonomia ). In my case the fainting is caused by a sudden drop in HR following the tachycardia. 

I am happy you got a diagnosis, I know how important that is to know that there actually IS something wrong with you! But getting diagnosed is only half the struggle - now you need treatment and that can be a frustratingly long journey.  It takes a lot of hit-and-miss b/c there are so many causes for POTS and they all respond differently to medications.  Often the first med is a betablocker, for both POTS and NCS. However - it is important to follow the recommended increases in water/ salt intake and wear compression stockings. 

There is a good book that explains what happens in syncope, and it is written in plain English b/c it was written for patients. It is " THE FAINTING PHENOMENON" by Dr Blair Grubb, MD.  Another good resource for patients is the book " THE DYSAUTONOMIA PROJECT ", which was written for both patients and physicians and is a magnificent source of information. You can get it at the website with the same name and both of them at amazon. 

I wish you the best of luck and a rapid improvement of your symptoms. Please keep us updated on your progress!!!! 

Thank you so much pistol! Your posts are always so helpful and encouraging ❤️