The Trigger Triangle

Robert J

In preparing for an appointment with my PCP I came to realize I have a triangle of triggers for my Dysautonomia:  STRESS -FATIGUE  -  OVER-STIMULATION 

When I experience too much of any one of these things I can be bedridden but when all three create are in force it is, what I call a Trigger Triangle. 
     The significance for me is it explains a pattern in my life of falling apart just when I’m on the verge of success. My doctoral degree - 3 tries but as the demands climbed, the stress increased, and that trips my senses into maximum overdrive... you get the picture. But I no longer look at myself as a loser who just bails when things get tough. Lots of self- forgiveness here. Anyone else have similar feelings?

@Robert J congratulations on getting to ABD!  That in and of itself is worth celebrating, ESPECIALLY with this awful condition. I finished my PhD 2 years before I got full blown POTS and had to stop working. I simply couldn’t have done any of it as sick as I became, I couldn’t even stand up for a couple of minutes.  I can no longer read anything even remotely “difficult” (ha!) like long magazine articles.  I used to read legal documents for fun to give you an idea. Brain hypoperfusion is real! Like Pistol, I have those same triggers as part of my hyper POTS.  Meds help, as does exercise but I, too, am home bound and have to completely avoid those triggers or my BP soars, the fatigue is terrible etc etc.  You should be proud of your accomplishments and now focus that same determination on getting as well as you can, no matter what that is.

Hi, P, thanks for the empathetic and comforting message! I’m sure you know when you have this disorder it’s a lonely place. Everyone has written me off as a nut who seems to have a new diagnosis every month and a new symptom de jure each morning. Just hard to predict or plan anything. It’s been tremendously impactful. My doctor is great and I’m sort of progressing along. Thankful to have this forum to share, learn, and listen.