Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FileTrekker

My results with Taurine for PVC's

So, by far one of the most troubling symptoms (if not the most) I have with Dysautonomia is PVCs, or Premature Ventricular Contractions. They are basically misfires from the ventricles, and while I've not been able to really pinpoint a cause as to why these occur in POTS (I'm not a scientist) I've begun to suspect that it's a combination of adrenaline / norepinephrine saturation, electrolyte imbalances, and the topsy turvy demands on the heart (bradycardia one minute, tachycardia the next).

Now in January of 2019 I decided to begin a year long experiment. I purchased a small portable ECG device (other brands are available) which I can strap to myself or hold and can record a continuous 1 lead ECG. The aim of this experiment was to regularly record 12 hours (a waking day) while wearing the monitor and then analyze the results to see how many PVC's I had, and how many occurred in each minute recorded. I would then, after a baseline of about 6 weeks of doing this (on a random day or two of the week) I would then start to experiment with adding in possible supplements and see if there was any difference.

To give an example of the ECG readout the device gives, here is an example. Note it's not perfect however it does capture PVC's well enough that with plenty of research and some online courses I was able to clearly recognise genuine ectopy from interference. This ECG is from early in the experiment and shows 3 PVC's in the space of one minute. All ECG's are the equivalent of Lead I in a 12 lead ECG, so it's not possible to properly map the location of these PVC's, although they're likely RVOT and they are uni-focal and uniform, with very similar coupling intervals (for those who care about the deets here)

ecg1.jpg

As a precursor to this;

• I am not a scientist and this is not "real" science
  • I don't suggest starting Taurine without checking with your doctor first (although it is considered very safe overall)
  • You don't take Taurine if you have diabetes
  • As this isn't a rigorous laboratory test conducted by an amateur, it is perfectly possible this could be random chance or some other factor skewing the results

However, that being said, my experience with Taurine has been very, very good. I've slowly over time increased the dose and every time I do so, the number of PVC's per day (PVC burden below) and the number of minutes in the day where I have a PVC, all dramatically reduce. The number of occurrences of multiple PVC's in any given minute also drastically reduce. Basically I've gone from regularly having 3, 4 or 5 PVC's in the space of a minute on a fairly regular basis to this basically never happening anymore.

It hasn't totally cured the PVC's and I still have between 80 - 150 per day (which is WAY better than the 1000+ per day which is where I started). It also relies on some good nutrition and electrolytes, so I take Magnesium in the morning and evening (citrate) and I also try to have a cup or two of Coconut water every day for a potassium boost.

Anyway, without further a ramble, here are the results over the past year of recording (January 2019 on top to January 2020 on the bottom)

taurine-chart.jpg

I did, for only a few days, try to increase to 3.5G of Taurine, but found that this was a bit too much and I started having some difficulty sleeping. 3G seems to be the sweet spot for me and while not curative, I am happy enough with the results.

I also take mine at;

1G at 9am

1G at 1.30pm

1G at 5pm

I don't take any Taurine after 5pm, again to minimise any sleep issues. The only side effect I really have had (which only became apparent at the larger doses) was that it could disrupt my sleep a little and make me feel a little sleepless. The reason for this I don't know. Apparently it's supposed to be more theraputic and help you sleep, but that hasn't been my experience. That being said, at 3G, if I don't take any after 5pm or so I'm just fine and sleep as usual (or as usual as usual can be with Dysautonomia)

So again I am not saying this is by any means properly scientific so feel free to blast all the holes in my methodology you wish to, I don't claim it to be watertight or anything like that - however given all the mixed reviews on PVC's and Taurine online I decided to conduct this year long experiment to see for myself. Why a year? Well I didn't want to do a shorter space of time just incase any drop in PVC's then rebounded or was a fluke or anomaly. So I went for a very long period of time.

I have been on 3G since October 2019 and since then I've enjoyed a very low number of PVCs. As I say not perfect and they still rattle my cage from time to time, especially if I overdo it, am stressed, or anxious, but my quality of life is SO much better compared to a year ago.

Also, no, it does bugger all for the other Dysautonomia symptoms I face. That being said, if PVC's are a big problem for you also, I hope this is useful information to you so you can discuss possibilities with a doctor and maybe give this a try. If someone else can find a bit of relief from Taurine then I hope that is my good deed for the day.

Happy to answer any questions!

PS - Just to add, on the days where the burden is 1.5 (red lines) and the improvement week in-between I was actually fighing off a tooth abcess and had a tooth removed shortly after that.  It's possible this contributed, potentially both to the increase those weeks and subsequent decrease, but further dose increases have proven to be continuously benficial so it's hard to say conclusively. Infections of any type do make it worse, however.

@FileTrekker -taurine is known to have a calming effect on the electrical impulses of the heart.

What does taurine do to the body?
Studies show that taurine may help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. It does this by reducing blood pressure and inflammation. Some evidence suggests that taurine improves the function of the left ventricle of the heart and calms the nervous system.

I am glad it works for you!!!

1 hour ago, AutumnRose said:

Oh wow this is so interesting! I'm glad your pvcs have improved so much. I've been seriously researching supplements (I also want one of those ecg thingies), so I will definitely try taurine.  My ectopics are by far my absolute worst symptom - very bad for quality of life indeed. Do you think taurine would help pacs as well? (I have more pacs than pvcs).

I am not sure about PACs, I've never really been aware or felt / seen any.  Worth a try though?

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

@FileTrekker -taurine is known to have a calming effect on the electrical impulses of the heart.

What does taurine do to the body?
Studies show that taurine may help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. It does this by reducing blood pressure and inflammation. Some evidence suggests that taurine improves the function of the left ventricle of the heart and calms the nervous system.

I am glad it works for you!!!

Yes indeed. From my extensive research on the topic I believe it has several benefits, it helps to stabilise calcium, magnesium and potassium within cells, when there isn't a good balance of these, this is usually a cause of ectopics. I believe. I also believe it helps protect the heart from, and reduce the effects of norepinephrine, which is another helpful fact. This is why I believe I find the results are better when magnesium and potassium are also made a key part of the diet.

As a side bonus, it helps with liver function and has cured my fatty liver. A year and a half ago (and several blood tests prior for years) I had an elevated liver enzyme count.  My last blood test a month ago showed perfectly normal results. 

It's apparently also good for eye health, and cognitive functioning. The only downside I am aware of is that it can have an effect on insulin which is why it's contraindicated for diabetics. 

Amazing determination. Glad it got you some results. Unfortunate that this is not something doctors are collaborating and assisting you with. 

If this is allowed, what type of device do you use and around how much does it cost? 

I've been having some issues with my handheld Kardia. I seem to have to hold it in exactly the right position in relation to my ipad to get it to record. Most times I end up missing the event or issue by the time I get it to record for a full 30 seconds. 

20 minutes ago, MTRJ75 said:

If this is allowed, what type of device do you use and around how much does it cost? 

I've been having some issues with my handheld Kardia. I seem to have to hold it in exactly the right position in relation to my ipad to get it to record. Most times I end up missing the event or issue by the time I get it to record for a full 30 seconds. 

I use a Kardia with an iPhone but have no problem positioning it—I just put the phone down with the home button to the right and place the Kardia right under it. The thing I do have to have fiddle with is electrical interference. I have to be away from electronics and large appliances.