Compression tights

GasconAlex

Do you become dependent on compression garments?

I've had to restart using these because of blood pooling in my lower legs caused significant damage. Now as the damage is mostly repaired I am reducing their use but have found that my heart rate variation is much worse without the garments but I got no corresponding improvement when I started wearing them again initially.  I would prefer not to use them (except when I'm not mobile) as it complicates an already fairly difficult life. 

Hi, @GasconAlex,

I am sorry to hear you are going through this - do you take any meds at all that help? I am impressed that you can even get the compression garment on because I never could. I was sized by a professional and, based on the measurements he took and the sizing guide,  he ordered me the correct size (these were compression tights) and strength as prescribed by my doctor (he actually gave me a written prescription for them), and I could never get them to even go up to my knees.  This was before I was taking any meds - the med helps and so, even though I still have some symptoms, I am at least functional these days (knock wood) and the compression tights are in the closet for now.   When you stopped/re-started/reduced using the compression garment, did you first discuss with your doctor? If you've not already done this, I am wondering if it might help to adjust whatever med(s) you may be taking as you change the frequency you wear the garment. There may be trial and error and, of course, consult with your doctor before making any kind of changes.  Best of luck and I hope your issue will be resolved soon!

On 1/30/2020 at 4:18 AM, GasconAlex said:

I would prefer not to use them (except when I'm not mobile) as it complicates an already fairly difficult life. 

I wear compression knee socks but have never noticed dependency. One question: do you wear them when lying down? I was always told not too. With knee socks it is easy to simply pull them down when I am lying down. They are most helpful to me when I am standing or walking.

@Sushi I wear them during the day when I'm up but when I've been hospitalised and forced to stay absolutely horizontal all day (try eating and drinking lying on your back without being able to turn to your side) they insisted I must have the stockings (thigh) 24 / 7  along with the anti clot injections.

@Delta The problems started when I was away on holiday normally I take pills and spend most of the day vertical but on holiday I was forced to use my wheelchair all the time. Because of the peripheral vascular disease ( sort of super Raynaud syndrome that affects the feet, hands and lower leg) I ended up with lower leg damage and open sores by the time I got back. The doctor then said that the tights (full leg version) would help if I was forced to stay sitting for long periods and also help my legs get better. Now, after 3 months, my legs are better (mostly) and I'm trying not to wear them all the time ( the doctor says she'd prefer it if I wore them every day but it is only important if i end up sitting for long periods).

The tights are professionally fitted. Once over my ankles (which some days I need help with) I can get them on, the feet and ankles are really difficult though. My doctor has some issues with the heart rate (50bpm increase on the TTT) but would rather I didn't take beta blockers as my bp is really quite low anyway. She suspects it's all to do with the cranial CSF leak which combined with connective tissue problems means neurological problems with hypertonal muscles and too many drugs anyway.

e