Greg Page (Wiggles singer with OI) collapsed at end of concert in Australia to raise funds for fire relief

Sushi

Greg had to retire due to dysautonomia but reunited with the Wiggles for a benefit concert for fire relief in Australia.  He was admitted to a hospital having suffered cardiac arrest. A media statement said that “a procedure had been performed.” https://people.com/music/the-wiggles-greg-page-medical-incident/

Greg was a member of another dysautonomia forum I participated in years ago. He has been a spokesman for those with dysautonomia over the years. Wishing him well.

Thank God he's okay, but this is a bit confusing. 

The article ends with him saying how much of a positive it was to know what he had and that it's not fatal. 

But cardiac arrest sounds like it can be pretty fatal. Was he misdiagnosed or is this condition a lot more dangerous than we've been led to believe? 

18 minutes ago, MTRJ75 said:

The article ends with him saying how much of a positive it was to know what he had and that it's not fatal. 

But cardiac arrest sounds like it can be pretty fatal. Was he misdiagnosed or is this condition a lot more dangerous than we've been led to believe? 

He wasn’t misdiagnosed—he has dysautonomia, probably neurally mediated syncope or neurally mediated hypotension. I believe he came to the States and saw Dr. Grubb. But, he did go into cardiac arrest so I am certainly watching this closely to try to understand why, whether he went into an arrhythmia or perhaps had an unrelated cardiac event. His routine was always super aerobic so it raises a lot of questions and is certainly a caution. But yes, if we ignore our energy envelope there are dangers. I really feel for the guy as he came out of retirement for this reunion concert with the Wiggles to raise money for fire relief. Apparently the concert sold out in 5 minutes, so he was using his star power for the good. 

When he was first diagnosed we used to explain our illness as the “Wiggles disease” and people got it. He has done so much for our community.

Guest KiminOrlando

My doctor told me this is a VERY RARE, but known, possibility when we have syncope. This is why he told me not to push myself too much so that I faint unless it is under medical supervision. 

Glad he is ok.

The Wiggles do a lot of good charity work here in Australia.

I remember reading about his condition a little while back, and was pleased that he was using it to raise some awareness. 

For those worrying that it is directly linked to his Dysautonomia, I wouldn't panic too much. Sure, there could be a link, but it's more likely that he had a cardiac arrest for other causes, like perhaps a blocked artery, or as mentioned above, perhaps an arrhythmia. He's a bit older now, so there could be many different causes. 

The most important thing is that he is safe, and I think an important thing we as fellow potsies should take away from this, is to remember never to push ourselves over our limits. 

I hope and pray he continues to improve! :) 

10 hours ago, MTRJ75 said:

Just an update: I did a google search and it has been now reported that he had a blockage in an artery, which caused the cardiac arrest. So, would have had nothing to do with his Dysautonomia at all. 

He was treated via stent. 

6 hours ago, Scout said:

Just an update: I did a google search and it has been now reported that he had a blockage in an artery, which caused the cardiac arrest. So, would have had nothing to do with his Dysautonomia at all. 

Thanks so much @Scout. I think that you can get more information there in Australia than I can here in the US. I am actually glad that it was a blocked artery rather than something directly related to dysautonomia—it is easier to treat! So while he has gone through a very dangerous and scary experience, his brave decision to do the reunion concert for fire relief may have revealed the underlying  problem of the blood clot in a very public and dramatic setting where he would get immediate help. And of course since most of the news coverage mentions dysautonomia, he is again, though inadvertently, acting as an advocate and bringing it to public attention.

8 hours ago, Scout said:

Wasn't really clear, but this is the type of thing I meant by "misdiagnosed".  

I'm not sure how to react to this. While I hate to say it's good news that this happened to him, it is a positive he was surrounded by people and probably relieves a lot of us that it was not due to dysautonomia alone, although it's still a young age to have this type of event happen to someone who's taking care of themselves. 

Even though it turned out to be a blocked artery, I'm learning now that these things aren't only a result of too much pizza and beer. Inflammation, which is more chronic in a lot of us, increases cholesterol, which increases the risk of blockage. But it's still a relief that blind dysautonomia was not the cause of this. 

Thank you for looking into this further. 

42 minutes ago, MTRJ75 said:

Even though it turned out to be a blocked artery, I'm learning now that these things aren't only a result of too much pizza and beer. Inflammation, which is more chronic in a lot of us, increases cholesterol, which increases the risk of blockage. But it's still a relief that blind dysautonomia was not the cause of this. 

Yes, inflammation is really deeply involved in the whole dysautonomia/CFS/fibromyalgia triad and is also a big culprit in blocked arteries.