Can’t move body, adrenaline

Hey everyone,

All of a sudden my adrenaline rushes have got worse again. I haven’t changed meds or anything. Then I’ve started feeling like I just can’t get my body to move, talk and sometimes breathe although I can still technically force myself to do these things. It’s really hard to do anything and is adding to my normal fatigue.

I’m confused what this feeling like I can’t move thing is since the first couple years with pots I didn’t have this at all even when I was really ill then. 
I feel like it’s linked to the increased adrenaline I’ve been having lately but still don’t know why it gets worse randomly.

i just want to be able to function at least a little! 

• 1 month later...

@Clueingforlooks - sorry for the delayed response.  In times that my adrenaline dumps and the hyperadrenergic symptoms exaggerate I avoid stimulation or exercise, I rest and drink plenty of fluids ( in my case I get extra IV fluids, since I have a port and can do it at home myself ). The more you force yourself to function the worse the resulting fatigue will be and the worse the adrenaline rushes will be. 

I take a lot of medications that help with the rushes as well and recently I started Wellbutrin, which is very effective in helping to keep me from having these adrenergic surges.  Be well!

I seem to have some sort of dystrophy that comes in in “bouts.” I have two distinct symptoms that can strike separately or together. The first is on overall neuromuscular weakness - not weakness such as I can’t do the neurological resistance test but it’s sooo difficult and just a little activity makes me tired and sore. 
The second is a kind is slow motion seizure where various muscle groups tense up. I can focus and use mindfulness to focus on a muscle group and get it to relax but no sooner do I get it to release, another muscle group tightened up. 
Sometimes it is difficult to describe what is happening and I need to observe symptoms so I can accurately report them. 
As with most weird symptoms, I inevitably find another patients account of something similar.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:15 PM, Pistol said:

@Clueingforlooks - sorry for the delayed response.  In times that my adrenaline dumps and the hyperadrenergic symptoms exaggerate I avoid stimulation or exercise, I rest and drink plenty of fluids ( in my case I get extra IV fluids, since I have a port and can do it at home myself ). The more you force yourself to function the worse the resulting fatigue will be and the worse the adrenaline rushes will be. 

I take a lot of medications that help with the rushes as well and recently I started Wellbutrin, which is very effective in helping to keep me from having these adrenergic surges.  Be well!

Thanks for getting back to me. Still struggling unfortunately, feeling really faint like I could pass out but my bp is ok. Had some electrolytes the other day and it made me feel even more nauseous with adrenaline still can’t seem to win. I’m tired of this, nothing I do seems to help.

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone.  Reading this, gave me a little bit of a relief from being so scared of these sensations when they start.  I never knew that was what I have been experiencing.  Few years back, I experienced it everyday and then it seemed to taper off.  Now it's back with a bang.  I am always confused why.  Being okay all day and suddenly my body start shrinking together (tightening up), stomach becomes a mess, struggling to breath,  and all sorts of sensations.  It's like my body is shutting down.  My stress and anxiety level go through the roof.  The last few days, I thought I was going to faint (which I am always scared of).  All I do is basically stay in bed.  I am on Lorazepam so that helps get me some relief.  Now that I understand what is causing it a little bit, maybe I'll stop being so scared and just wait it out.  Just found out I might have H. Pylori infection two weeks ago.  My stomach is burning like fire and that has made things worse. Not sure if that could be adding to or causing the adrenaline rush too.

• 10 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 9:57 AM, Abe said:

Thanks everyone.  Reading this, gave me a little bit of a relief from being so scared of these sensations when they start.  I never knew that was what I have been experiencing.  Few years back, I experienced it everyday and then it seemed to taper off.  Now it's back with a bang.  I am always confused why.  Being okay all day and suddenly my body start shrinking together (tightening up), stomach becomes a mess, struggling to breath,  and all sorts of sensations.  It's like my body is shutting down.  My stress and anxiety level go through the roof.  The last few days, I thought I was going to faint (which I am always scared of).  All I do is basically stay in bed.  I am on Lorazepam so that helps get me some relief.  Now that I understand what is causing it a little bit, maybe I'll stop being so scared and just wait it out.  Just found out I might have H. Pylori infection two weeks ago.  My stomach is burning like fire and that has made things worse. Not sure if that could be adding to or causing the adrenaline rush too.

Hi @Abe just wondering how your going with this symptom. It’s worsened a lot for me recently and nothing seems to be helping. Just so hard to move or exist! 

9 hours ago, Clueingforlooks said:

Hi @Abe just wondering how your going with this symptom. It’s worsened a lot for me recently and nothing seems to be helping. Just so hard to move or exist! 

It's a huge problem for me. The Vasoconstrictors are making it worse. I never feel like I've slept either b/c of it. I have no idea what to do either. I'm sorry. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. Have you had any hormonal imbalances? My testosterone came back really high and it can be a sign of adrenal hyperplasia but I don't have any diagnosis. 

7 hours ago, CallieAndToby22 said:

It's a huge problem for me. The Vasoconstrictors are making it worse. I never feel like I've slept either b/c of it. I have no idea what to do either. I'm sorry. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. Have you had any hormonal imbalances? My testosterone came back really high and it can be a sign of adrenal hyperplasia but I don't have any diagnosis. 

Sorry to hear, thanks for commenting. I don’t seem to have any hormonal imbalances as I’ve a had full work up of bloods recently. I’ve ruled out adrenal related things too. 

The last few weeks with this phenomenon have made my life so miserable.  I don't know what to do anymore.  I am close to passing out right now than I ever was since diagnosed with POTS.  Anyone found a relief?  My medication doesn't seem to be helping.

Just reading all these posts and weeping.  I am having a terrible day and enjoying (ha!) just about every one of the symptoms the rest of you have mentioned.  It is so exhausting, so lonely inside a body that is being run amok, and I am really grateful to be able to know that I am not alone in this.  So thank you all for sharing your miseries, your fears, your small successes and your experience.  Some of these symptoms are indeed strange enough to make me think I must be making them up until I come across a thread like this where I learn that many others have had the same ones.  

It is nice to have a place to come where I don't have to be brave or show fortitude when all I really want to do is curl up and cry.  I feel like I can do that in your virtual company.  Thanks!

Feel the same here.  Today will rank as one of my worst days in 5 years and I really feel like giving up but praying that God will spare me tonight.  Everything you can think of, is going on in my body tonight and I can barely explain it but I thank God that I have a place like this to come to and offload everything I couldn't even tell my family.

@Jyoti @Abe @Clueingforlooks - whenever the seasons change our symptoms seem to get worse, happens to me every year in the spring and fall. I believe that is due to changes in barometric pressure, which affects the ANS. Unfortunately there is nothing to be done about it  other than ride it out and keep positive, b/c eventually you will learn that each flare is followed by going back to "normal". Hang in there and don't despair!!!! 😘

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2021 at 6:48 AM, Pistol said:

@Jyoti @Abe @Clueingforlooks - whenever the seasons change our symptoms seem to get worse, happens to me every year in the spring and fall. I believe that is due to changes in barometric pressure, which affects the ANS. Unfortunately there is nothing to be done about it  other than ride it out and keep positive, b/c eventually you will learn that each flare is followed by going back to "normal". Hang in there and don't despair!!!! 😘

This helps.  So hard when you're on a flare and your mind is so foggy I can't remember feeling normal Thank you

On 2/13/2020 at 6:45 AM, Pistol said:

I was taking Prozac but it makes my hair fall out and I wanted to keep my hair.  Does welbutrin make your hair fall out?

On 3/18/2021 at 5:18 PM, Abe said:

The last few weeks with this phenomenon have made my life so miserable.  I don't know what to do anymore.  I am close to passing out right now than I ever was since diagnosed with POTS.  Anyone found a relief?  My medication doesn't seem to be helping.

Do you get any relief from drinking large amounts of fluids?

I read in a post from someone else that their Mild flavors come last few weeks and the bad ones a couple of months. The way that they deal is to have no stimulation. No TV.  Reducing stimulation even putting on sunglasses and noise cancelling headphones. Someone else referred to it as trying to get a big ship to stop and turn around once the adrenalin gets going