Vegan vs Paleo vs Low carb?

jenwic

@jenwic - here is a good summary regarding POTS and diet :

https://myheart.net/pots-syndrome/diet/

I have improved greatly by adjusting my diet to low carb, high protein, avoiding raw fruits and veggies ( cooked or steamed only ) and by avoiding large meals altogether by replacing them with 6 small meals or snacks a day. This regimen has improved dysautonomia related GI issues ( IBS, GERD, gastroparesis ), improved my glucose and insulin levels and I no longer have hypoglycemia attacks, and it helps my BP and HR to be somewhat controlled. Also - avoiding processed foods that are full of unwanted chemicals has been very helpful to me. 

I realize that the holidays are probably not the best time to go on this diet 😉but may be a good new years resolution!!

@jenwic - I restrict my carbs mostly to multigrain bread ( 1 slice a day ), nuts, oats, rice and occasionally pasta. I eat a lot of beans, all meat, eggs in moderation and - my guilty pleasure - lots of cheese. Veggies only cooked and low acid fruits. I do not consume sugar since I am glucose intolerant but do drink beer at times, which is high sugar and high carb. 

I find that reducing sugar intake and increased fat and protein intake reduces feeling POTS-y--particularly in the AM.  I think it has something to do with blood pooling in the abdomen after eating -- and not sure why eating foods with lower glycemic index reduces that (if that is what is happening?). 

Here is a list of foods and their glycemic index:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic-index-and-glycemic-load-for-100-foods

Also plenty of fluids especially in the AM and salt--that is the dietary change that has helped me the most.  However, prior to developing POTS symptoms, my diet was already pretty healthy.  I don't eat a lot of processed foods and I am a vegetarian (although I do eat eggs and some dairy).  Some POTS patients have problems such as gastoparesis which adds additional problems and constraints.

I've noticed that I am the most symptomatic after eating carbs in the morning.  I can better tolerate them later in the day.  I have no idea why.  I also do best eating fat and protein with a small amount of carbs, especially in the morning.