Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jwarrior77

Excessively Dilated Veins

During the middle of summer a couple of months after getting sick I started getting abnormal vein dilation particularly in my arms, hands, and feet. This would mainly occur if I stood up and walked around as the blood would pool in my extremeties.  It would come and go during that time. However now it seems to happen all the time even without standing up. If I get too warm or hot they will dilate. If I get emotional about something they will dilate. If I get anxious it will do it sometimes. And of course it will happen and I don't even know what triggered it.

I'm at a loss as to what's causing it. Is it just my ANS malfunctioning and causing the vessels not to constrict properly? Is there some sort of chemical or hormone in my blood stream causing the veins to dilate? Have my veins suddenly for no reason become too overly stretchy? If I raise my hand up you can see the vessels collapse and the blood fall back due to the force of gravity. I know people have problems with this but in my case it seems too excessive. I'll attach pictures that I took earlier back in the summer.

Warning as they are pretty gross to look at. 

IMG_20190906_162748.thumb.jpg.9ecff4d7fb9c7478cccd880cf932a842.jpg

IMG_20190906_162728.thumb.jpg.4776d1968d84905d27dcea82e848150c.jpg

IMG_20190903_111129.thumb.jpg.a18d49bb3ec61bea8992e1968ebe9815.jpg

Uhm...that's exactly what mine have looked like forever. Veins popping out and very pronounced all over backs of my hands, up my arms, sometimes can even see them in the feet. When taking blood, I was always told "you have great veins". Come to think of it, only one doctor (a chiropractor/homeopath) ever really mentioned it, but didn't say it meant anything. I do feel my hands tighten up often and the veins are often more pronounced when that happens. Never knew it was a dysautonomia thing. What can you really do about it though? 

@Jwarrior77 - do you feel faint when this happens? Does your HR go up or your BP drop?

@MTRJ75 I would have considered it normal only that my veins have never popped out this dramatically before and I never had my arm veins pop out at all before. It came on so suddenly just like all the other symptoms. When it happens my hands become extremely warm and mottled because of all the excess blood flowing to it. Back in the summer they would actually hurt slightly because of all the excess pressure. It's almost as if my body shunts all my blood to my peripheries even if I'm laying down.

@Pistol Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't which is the odd thing. I would say my heart rate is pretty stable only if I don't stand up when it occurs and my blood pressure is usually low. 

@Jwarrior77 - have you brought this up to your doctor? He may want to do some blood tests, and there are medications that help. I believe that excessive vasodilation could cause inadequate circulation to your organs due to low BP and if this happens often could be damaging. Your doctor should be able to determine if you need to be treated. 

9 hours ago, Jwarrior77 said:

@MTRJ75 I would have considered it normal only that my veins have never popped out this dramatically before and I never had my arm veins pop out at all before. It came on so suddenly just like all the other symptoms. When it happens my hands become extremely warm and mottled because of all the excess blood flowing to it. Back in the summer they would actually hurt slightly because of all the excess pressure. It's almost as if my body shunts all my blood to my peripheries even if I'm laying down.

I no longer consider it normal. And yes, there is some pain in my hands at it's most pronounced. I don't think I've ever been able to tie it to a blood pressure issue though. I'm kind of the opposite of most POTS types anyway, where my blood pressure often increases the more upright I am and drops when lying down.