Gastroparesis?

MissMermaid

Does anyone here have gastroparesis? I have read that it is not uncommon among those with dysautonomia. I have complained on here about my stomach before and I hate to do it again but I am MISERABLE. This is taking a toll on my mental health. I am in severe pain every day. I’m bloated, I’m nauseous constantly, I dry heave throughout the day - I would love to vomit but never do. I have chest pain, back pain, I feel like I’ve swallowed a rock. 

Ive seen a gastroenterologist and she recommended I follow a low fodmap diet for a month and see how I go and then see her again in three months. The diet isn’t helping and I sure as h*** don’t want to live like this another three months. 

I haven’t been diagnosed with gastroparesis and would never self diagnose but I don’t know whats wrong and am desperate for support and answers. Can anyone here help me with personal gastroparesis stories? What helps you ect? Do my symptoms even sound like gastroparesis? I don’t know. I’m just sick and losing hope. 

Im so very miserable. I’ve gone to the er three times with this but just get nexium and sent home. 

Hope you are all well xx

Testing for gastroparesis is very easy, your GI doc should do a formal test.  It’s hard to deal with, meds that help have a lot of bad side effects.  My relief is mainly through diet, in my case it was trial and error.  

@MissMermaid I agree - testing is easy. I had 2 gastric emptying studies done, it is used to determine how fast/ slow your stomach processes and empties food. In my case my ANS dysfunction goes to either extreme, both with cardiovascular and GI symptoms. In my case I have both IBSD ( when I am hyperadrenergic ) and gastroparesis ( when my sympathetic system withdraws ). When I have gastroparesis symptoms I get bloated, sluggish and fatigued, my abdomen feels always "full" and am very nauseous. I get extremely full after even one bite of food. What helps me in those times is a diet without raw fruits or veggies ( except for bananas ), frequent small bites of soup or soft foods and instead of drinking water I sip broth, soymilk ( dairy makes me feel worse ), coconut water etc. One thing that I do is this: I shred a cucumber, salt it and let it drain in a colander. Then I drink the green water - salty, mild and nutritious! 

I am sorry you have to go through this - I understand!!!! If your doc recommends to try the diet and it does not work - I would make an appointment and go back. You do not have to wait that long, they need to know that you are sick despite the dietary changes. Good Luck!!! 

I've formally been diagnosed with gastroparesis. I agree with others that diet is the best way to manage it and it's largely trial and error. I spent nearly three years on liquids. Now I can sometimes eat solid food but have to wait before I try to again. It's still trial and error but I'm pretty happy like this now that I understand my limits. One way to help is to not eat until you feel better. You can actually go quite a while without food or just switch to liquids.  

I have gastroparesis but it took years before they would do the test. I told them I would throw up when I bent over to pick something up. I would eat dinner, then throw it up the next morning. It isn't supposed to still be there that long. 

I am on medication for it and it changed my life.  Before meds, I wouldn't leave the house because I never knew when it would happen. 

I went to 4 gastroenterologists before I found one to take me seriously. 

Thank you all so much for your input and suggestions. I am so sorry that you all have to go through this. I’ve been at the end of my patience with it and yesterday I broke. It hurts so freaking bad. My sternum hurts. It burns on and off too so will up my nexium. Hard to relax and not think I’m having a heart attack the pain and bloating is so intense.

@Pistol the cucumber water sounds delicious. I’m definitely going to try it 😊 thank you 

I've experienced gastroparesis since day one of when I first experienced POTS symptoms (many, many years ago).

Yes, diet - and to some degree exercise - has made all the difference for me.

First thing in the morning I drink a cup of home made broth made from soup and marrow beef and/or chicken bones with a full scoop of hydrolyzed collagen added for the extra bit (10 grams worth) of protein. I also drink a cup of warm pineapple juice mixed with lemon and ginger. A few months back I added a slice of toast with butter. (Though note, too much fat nauseates me.) I then see how things are going before eating a breakfast consisting of fresh (not canned) pineapple, a banana and a cup of mandarin oranges or papaya. I'll sometimes add a piece of cheddar cheese or low fat string cheese for the added protein and to help limit the fruit sugar rush. I supplement with a serving of freeze dried bovine (cow) liver capsules. (6 capsules equals one ounce of liver.) I then wait things out and go about my day. If I experience nausea or OI (as sometimes happens), I simply sit down and rest until the feeling passes. 

For lunch I eat 2 scrambled whole eggs and a slice of toast. I also drink 12 ounces of a mix of pineapple juice and orange juice with a tablespoon of pressed ginger juice added.

My other meal consists of soup with one to two ounces of well cooked grass fed beef or free range chicken added for the extra protein. (A favorite is a liverwurst sausage product from US Wellness Meats. It consists of 50% beef trim and 50% beef organ meats and is not only highly nutritious but surprisingly tasty.)

On occasion I'll also take in a 4th meal consisting of cooked (steamed) vegetables. (Carrots, beets, spinach are favorites.)

For snacks I allow myself a fresh apple or some other fresh fruit. I try to limit my consumption of sugary treats though I will indulge in the occasional Oreo or homemade cookie. Milk and milk related foods are problematic though a half cup of whole milk (again with a cookie or two) is tolerable.

I've managed to stay healthy with this diet for the past 12 years. I work full time and also teach yoga and Qi Gung and have a daily yoga and cardio (stationary bike riding) exercise routine. Twice yearly I undergo a full blood workup and I've yet to encounter a single essential nutrient deficiency. (I'm 6'3" tall and weigh 208 pounds, btw.)

Now, I'm certainly not saying claiming that my (admittedly quite boring) diet is a cure all. Still, perhaps one small element might help you.

P1080997.JPG

P1080998.JPG