Bedridden

Ida

Anyone here living alone and bedridden? I will be soon. Will have mini fridge in bedroom and microwave next to bed, meds nearby. Friend will visit every few days to replenish food. My main issue is bathroom related. I was thinking of having one of those diaper genie pails near my bed to place used diapers. But I am so worried it will stink up my room. I'm not incontinent, just too weak to sit up or walk, but at least a diaper will absorb stuff and can be neatly wrapped and disposed. How would I empty a bedpan?? My friend would empty the bag from the pail when he brings me food. I'm just really worried a diaper pail won't really seal the smell. Anyone ever have to deal with a situation like mine? 

HHi Ida. I'm more house and occasionally couch bound than bed. I'm by myself half the week with my mother staying with me for a few days a week since my condition has deteriorated, but I try to limit the burden I place on her as much as possible. I sincerely hope you can find some way to improve, but have you checked with your insurance company to see if you can get some daily assistance? 

@Ida - sorry you are going through that. Using diapers is not usually recommended because they can cause skin breakdown. How about a potty chair? That way you can just scooch from bed to potty and back. Why are you bedridden and for how long? Often they can send nurses or PT to your home. PT is a good idea because they can help you with exercises to improve orthostatic intolerance, circulation and general muscle wasting from prolonged inactivity. Keep in mind that inactivity can cause but also worsens dysautonomia symptoms. 

Have you been evaluated as to why you cannot sit up or walk and has a doctor advised you to remain in bed?

When my symptoms became that severe, due to POTS, I was hospitalized, and given IV fluids for 48 hours.  I was then at least able to stand up and walk across a room and use a bathroom.  After that I went to infusion center 3X a week for weeks to get fluids, which helped me not to slide back to that state.  If you have POTS, IV fluids may help you greatly.

I agree w Pistol that remaining in bed is not likely to help you to improve. 

So sorry, Ida.  I agree that if you are unable to sit up, it sounds like you do certainly need and deserve some help.  I have a husband fortunately, but he is gone 90% of the time, and I have often thought that I wish I had an extra bedroom where I could offer maybe the right person free room and board in exchange for just being around some of the time.  In  addition to your friend who is coming by and maybe more additional arranged help, as others have said, would that be something that is possible for you, if that is even something you would want to consider?  Best wishes to you.