Poll: Fall Flare up

POTSius

Fall Flare Up  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lots of topics seem to be about a flare up in symptoms right now

I experience regular flares in my symptoms each fall and I was interested in others experiences

Especially whether this phenomena is limited to those who also have allergy/mast cell issues

Or whether this affects those with dysautonomia more broadly, for some other reason (light changes?)

I have a very bad flare right now for the past month and the only thing that is different is that I have allergies. I started Claritin and my POTS is better but still worse than usual. In my case I believe it is because histamine causes vasodilation and my BP is much lower than usual. But it fluctuates really fast , I.e. 140/90 then 80/50, that is when I faint or feel like fainting. As I said, the Claritin gave some relief but it is still bad. Looking back I had a flare every fall and spring for the past 10 years.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I have a very bad flare right now for the past month and the only thing that is different is that I have allergies. I started Claritin and my POTS is better but still worse than usual. In my case I believe it is because histamine causes vasodilation and my BP is much lower than usual. But it fluctuates really fast , I.e. 140/90 then 80/50, that is when I faint or feel like fainting. As I said, the Claritin gave some relief but it is still bad. Looking back I had a flare every fall and spring for the past 10 years.

Im sorry you're having a hard time pistol :(. I hope you get well soon! Winter is coming!!! 

1 hour ago, bombsh3ll said:

I don't have "flare ups", never have. In a way it sounds nice as I like the idea of it being less bad at other times rather than consistent.

I don't tolerate heat well since I became ill, but I don't think that is what is being described here?

@Pistol I hope you feel better soon. 

B xxx

That would be a cause and effect. A flare is when you do your normal everday routine and for some reason it flares up for days/months etc

• 3 weeks later...

Autumn has long been when I've struggled the most with an excess of flares (and the odd full on attack). Mid September through to November is especially bad. Good to see that I'm not alone. (Well, not really.)

1 hour ago, ScottS said:

Autumn has long been when I've struggled the most with an excess of flares (and the odd full on attack). Mid September through to November is especially bad. Good to see that I'm not alone. (Well, not really.)

Do you have any allergy or mast cell type issues?

October was when I had my first full blown POTS flare last year. I couldn't even sit up without being nauseous for a couple of weeks. I've also noticed I've been incredibly nauseous once cooler days have start to hit this year. My eyes are really bad and also on worse days, my standing heart rate is up higher all of a sudden again. I thought a lot of this was due to medication changes (and maybe some of it like a blood pressure increase still is), but have been wondering if this is just the worst time of year for us. 

15 hours ago, POTSius said:

Do you have any allergy or mast cell type issues?

Allergies, no - and I've been put through all manner of tests. MCAS, yes.

Curiously, the mast cell stuff is wholly unpredictable. I'll go weeks and weeks without a single occurrence and then, out of the blue, an otherwise unexplainable rash will show up (primarily on my hands, less frequently on my calves and shins or inner groin) and my throat will thicken and swell and etc. (And blah, blah, blah!)

I am also quite sensitive to variations in both temperature and humidity. While I can take some dry heat,  heat combined with more than moderate levels of humidity wipes me out and even the least bit of extended exposure to cold can ruin me. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/22/2019 at 4:48 AM, Pistol said:

I think you hit it on the head. Most of my severe flares happen in spring and the fall as well as hot summer days (hot is bad for me) or high stress days like XMAS This last week i have been symptom free :D. Really starting to believe a histamine release gives me more issues than the nOH does. I have had some type of allergy (skin - respiratory) all my life.

I am hoping my GP thinks the same. Having no answer is getting hard to live with.   

On 9/22/2019 at 4:48 AM, Pistol said:

Praying for you @Pistol.  You've been a great channel of encouragement to many of us here.

• 3 weeks later...

Myself and a close friend who are under the EDS/POTS/MCAS umbrella flare more in fall and late spring, though extreme heat times in summer are consistently bad due to fluid loss from sweating and excess vasodilation. I know many people whose autoimmune conditions flare at this time as well. This is a prime time for our immune systems to be encountering fresh seasonal viruses as well. That’s a lot of stimulation for a system already set to overly sensitive.

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2021 at 2:05 PM, Julyrose said:

Myself and a close friend who are under the EDS/POTS/MCAS umbrella flare more in fall and late spring, though extreme heat times in summer are consistently bad due to fluid loss from sweating and excess vasodilation. I know many people whose autoimmune conditions flare at this time as well. This is a prime time for our immune systems to be encountering fresh seasonal viruses as well. That’s a lot of stimulation for a system already set to overly sensitive.

That is an interesting theory re the viruses

I am not very familiar with the science on that, but wouldn't that be something that should also cause winter flares? I guess I wonder how well the fall flare pattern fits with the virus pattern which I would imagine is worse in the winter.