Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DizzyPopcorn

Anyone having insomnia at the moment?

Recommended Posts

It's 1:15 am and i can't sleep because im being anxious about my symptoms. Ok ok im also guilty of having a mid day nap earlier ...

What about you guys? Do you have bouts of insomnia as well? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course. I took bactrim for 2 weeks and it decreases my sleep meds and in and of itself causes horrible insomnia. So Walgreens was supposed to fill something to help with sleep and they haven't. It sucks. I had adrenaline 24/7 in 2008 and went the entire year without more than an hour a day of sleep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped taking mitrazapine for sleep because of the new research on anticholinergics and Alzheimer’s.  My dad and half his siblings had it but I have tried a couple of other sleep meds since and I got 3 hours sleep last night.  Very reminiscent of when I first became ill.  I did screw up my guanfacine dose yesterday though so that likely contributed.  I feel soooooo much better with decent sleep.  I am going to do more research on mitrazapine though as I found one article that said it has no to little anticholinergic effects.  It’s a very interesting drug for us as it hits different receptors than most other sleep meds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, p8d said:

I stopped taking mitrazapine for sleep because of the new research on anticholinergics and Alzheimer’s.  My dad and half his siblings had it but I have tried a couple of other sleep meds since and I got 3 hours sleep last night.  Very reminiscent of when I first became ill.  I did screw up my guanfacine dose yesterday though so that likely contributed.  I feel soooooo much better with decent sleep.  I am going to do more research on mitrazapine though as I found one article that said it has no to little anticholinergic effects.  It’s a very interesting drug for us as it hits different receptors than most other sleep meds.

Pardon me but, what is an anticholinergic effect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some recent studies showing anticholinergic drugs (it’s a class of drugs) and benzodiazepines increase the risk of Alzheimer’s significantly.  Google it and you will find the articles.  I really liked the mitrazapine, I slept 8 hours straight through frequently.  Not always but probably 4-5 nights per week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found that when I am rested and balanced I sleep well, even have dreams. When I do too much, or am triggered, I sleep poorly. I have to take naps every day or I will be too wired at night and not be able to fall asleep. so - in my case getting hyper is the reason for insomnia - if I can avoid hyper then I can sleep. If tht makes sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, p8d said:

There are some recent studies showing anticholinergic drugs (it’s a class of drugs) and benzodiazepines increase the risk of Alzheimer’s significantly.  Google it and you will find the articles.  I really liked the mitrazapine, I slept 8 hours straight through frequently.  Not always but probably 4-5 nights per week.

Oh well. So much for me taking klonopin as needed lol. Right now its the only thing that helps me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I have found that when I am rested and balanced I sleep well, even have dreams. When I do too much, or am triggered, I sleep poorly. I have to take naps every day or I will be too wired at night and not be able to fall asleep. so - in my case getting hyper is the reason for insomnia - if I can avoid hyper then I can sleep. If tht makes sense. 

That does make sense yes. Its similar to someone going to bed thinking about future stressful situations. The stress make him/her temporarily "hyper" and unable to sleep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This probably sounds silly, but ... Zantac helps me sleep.

Back Story: I feel heart burn sometimes. There is no correlation with type of food, but any large quantity is definitely an issue. Just another random symptom!  But fortunately, I take copious notes and keep tons of data. I found that on nights where I took Zantac, I slept better.

Experimentation: As an experiment, I took Zantac for two weeks straight just before bedtime. I got an average of 92 minutes more sleep per night. I also didn't wake up as much during the night. After two weeks, I stopped taking it. I went back to my normal sleep patterns. I tried Prilosec with the same positive result.

I tried Tums. No improvement.

Result: Zantac & Prilosec are better than Ambien, Lunesta, or any other sleeping pill for me. Now, I take it nightly. Nothing else has worked as well. When I don't take it - like before medical tests - I don't sleep well. I am better rested now than I have been in years. Unfortunately, I still have fatigue and all the rest my issues. Funny enough, I still get heart burn on occasion. But at least I sleep better.

Possible Explanation: Many people have GERD and don't know it. I had mild esophageal irritation when I was scoped. From a study I read that, "Severe autonomic dysfunction was detected in 44.4% of patients [with GERD] and in 7.9% of controls (P < 0.001)." (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4462740/). It's just a theory...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried pretty much every sleep medication that is supposed to help sleep (both on an off label).  My sleep doctor is also a really good psychiatrist who knows his meds really well. The anticholinergic meds tend to speed up my heart rate, and even a mild elevation in heart rate will distrust sleep.  I get the absolute best quality sleep with Gabapentin, but it tends to slow down my stomach (I already have gastroparesis).  Lunesta also works well, but it’s not quite a good as Gabapentin. Lunesta makes it really easy to sleep, but the quality isn’t as good as Gabapentin. I also find Gabapentin REALLY difficult to get off of if I’ve taking it for a long time, so I try not to use it for more than about 2 weeks at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to have sleep maintenance insomnia.  Why?  Stress is definitely a factor, but also I'm in perimenopause, I have to pee frequently (I take desmopressin at night for that now), and I have 2 cats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benadryl (US version, i.e. diphenhydramine) is my go to for when I am not able to fall asleep

But in my case, this may be due to it helping with MCAS vs POTS

Although I think it tends to help people fall asleep in general as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...