New study has found a potential biomarker for PoTS (Grubb)

DizzyPopcorn

Hello all! I just stumbled on this article about a study that was done by Doc. Grubb. Apparently a new biomarker has been found and it is very easy to screen for it, meaning that many hospitals will be able to have it in the future if it passes further trials. This is incredible news!

https://neurosciencenews.com/pots-fainting-biomarker-14888/?fbclid=IwAR1yzka5ogO-f1H9IB3hpjSEz5B345ab2IdGNO1asI8JLsewzqxxj1gJZJ8

By the look of it, it would classify PoTS as an autoimmune disorder. 

Thank you so much for posting this!  The findings are exactly what my Celltrend tests showed.  Alpha a-1 autoantibodies.  My first improvement came from Plaquenil and my recent improvement is from SCIG, both autoimmune drugs.  Plaquenil did nothing for my BP/HR and I am not yet certain about the SCIG is helping those either but fevers, muscle aches, joint pain and swelling, fatigue, digestion are all better.  Now if I could find something for the insomnia that isn’t an anticholinergic I would be happy.  I am lucky that my neurologist and cardiologist always believed mine was autoimmune.  I did test positive on the ANA eventually and was diagnosed with UCTD and that’s why my rheumatologist started Plaquenil.  My neurologist talked him into SCIG and after 10 months of that I am doing things I haven’t in years.  I am in no way cured and still suffer terribly from fatigue but if I schedule things appropriately I can actually do some stuff outside home.  Again my sincere thanks for posting this!

13 minutes ago, p8d said:

Thank you so much for posting this!  The findings are exactly what my Celltrend tests showed.  Alpha a-1 autoantibodies.  My first improvement came from Plaquenil and my recent improvement is from SCIG, both autoimmune drugs.  Plaquenil did nothing for my BP/HR and I am not yet certain about the SCIG is helping those either but fevers, muscle aches, joint pain and swelling, fatigue, digestion are all better.  Now if I could find something for the insomnia that isn’t an anticholinergic I would be happy.  I am lucky that my neurologist and cardiologist always believed mine was autoimmune.  I did test positive on the ANA eventually and was diagnosed with UCTD and that’s why my rheumatologist started Plaquenil.  My neurologist talked him into SCIG and after 10 months of that I am doing things I haven’t in years.  I am in no way cured and still suffer terribly from fatigue but if I schedule things appropriately I can actually do some stuff outside home.  Again my sincere thanks for posting this!

No problem p8d! Do you think i could order a Alpha a-1 antibodies test? Is that feasible / hard to do?

It was a nightmare getting my blood to Germany to Celltrend.  It had to go via FedEx with a bunch of forms one of which I wasn’t told about that resulted in the blood being held up in Denmark for 2 days.  The local place wasn’t terribly well versed in sending blood overseas.  I also had trouble finding a lab that would give me back my blood!  Crazy and that took much longer than I thought it would.  The lab at the place the neurologist who ordered the test (you didn’t need a Drs order for the test, just to get the blood drawn) wouldn’t give me the blood.  It was worth it because my pharmacy benefits manager accepted the test and approved the IG which is very expensive otherwise.

Guest KiminOrlando
2 hours ago, p8d said:

I also had trouble finding a lab that would give me back my blood!

Several of my local labs told me that once the blood left my body, it was no longer mine. It was legally their property and I couldn't have it. I'm not kidding.

Scary to think what they could then do with their legal property.