Low bp, adrenaline and salt sensitivity

Hi everyone, 

I’ve been having these symptoms over the past two years and still haven’t found out a way to help it or why it’s happening. When I first got pots this wasn’t an issue at all. 

My bp is regularly on the low side 90/60 and lowest 70/40 however, when I start adding salt (from foods or drinks) into my diet my adrenaline just gets worse and worse. If I continue my bp gets hypertensive, head pressure, shaky even if my bp was on the low side beforehand. Even a small amount of sodium in something can make the adrenaline worse straight away! 

Sometimes my adrenaline keeps getting worse and my body ‘feels’ hypertensive with the head pressure and adrenaline but my bp stays low. Worst thing is I can’t avoid salt altogether because my bp drops as low as 70/50 especially at the end of the day. 

Tonight my bp is 80/55 but I feel really wired and jittery all day. I can’t have anything with sodium in it because I’ll just keep having too much adrenaline but I don’t feel great with low bp either. It’s a catch 22. If I just drink plain water it doesn’t really do anything to help my bp.

I’m on fludrocortisone and propranolol and I’ve tried adjusting doses and it doesn’t help the issue. Can’t tolerate midodrine.

Has anyone had this problem, being sensitive to salt? Anyone know why and how to help it? No one has been able to help me with this so far.

• 4 months later...
15 hours ago, p8d said:

Can you try methyldopa or guanfacine for the adrenaline?  I found that methyldopa in particular did not lower my BP but did help with the other symptoms.

I haven’t tried them yet, but I’ll talk to my cardio about them next time I go! Just have avoided in past because bp gets low and increases fatigue.