Loss of thirst - Adipsea

ljfoster

Good Afternoon,

Does anyone else experience a similar phenomenon called Adipsia aka loss of thirst mechanism? This develop around the same time as my Autonomic Dysfunction/Neuropathy diagnosis. However, I have not seen it linked with my syndrome. I am interested in hearing from everyone that experiences this. Mine is so bad I have wound up in the hospital for severe dehydration because I have essentially forgotten my ability to thirst. 

Cheers!

Logan 

@ljfoster - yes. I hardly ever feel thirsty and need to remind myself to drink, despite ingesting large amounts of salt. It was that way for most of my life. But if I DO get thirsty it does not end - I am like a camel and cannot stop drinking. However - I do not really get dehydrated b/c since onset of POTS I drink all day long, part of my treatment regime. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another quirk that has a cause! I’ve never had a thirst drive, unless of course I had eaten something super salty. I always figured I got enough water from my food. I used to drink maybe one glass of water per day. Of course that’s different now. I didn’t understand when others went crazy for drinks or carried water all the time. I tried carrying water, but I never drank it. Oddly, I’ve had an excessive amount of saliva lifelong too. Dentist always comment on this. 

Hi, @ljfoster,

I've never gotten very thirsty myself.  (This is all pre-POTS). There have been hot summer days when I craved a lemonade or something but in general, I have to remind myself to drink.  I've had kidney stones, which the docs say is in part because I don't drink enough water, but they also tell me they are familial and my older sis has had them. When I mentioned to one doc that I don't drink when I'm not thirsty, she told me that the fact that one is thirsty actually means that they already should have been drinking.  In other words, I'm *supposed* to be drinking when I'm not thirsty!  I'm not so sure I believe that but I've had kidney stones three times and that was three times too many, so I try to keep on top of the water thing.  But, as another poster said, I don't particularly enjoy it!

Same here! Growing up never thought much about it until I was married and realized how much water my husband drinks and his frequent need to urinate. I used to be glad I could be all day without having to use the toilet ( just a morning and before bed visit were enough for me)...

I am glad you brought it up. An other mystery solved!