Anyone have reptiles?

DizzyPopcorn

Hey everyone!

Does anyone have on here have any kind of reptiles?

I do! 8, to be precise. I have :

1 Bearded dragon : Aurore.

2 Painted Agamas : Devil and Bandit.

4 leopard geckos : Kiwi,  Rainbow, Sunshine and Midnight

1 Urosmatyx Ornata : La petite tortue "Translate to 'The little turtle'"

I can share pictures if people are interested!

2 hours ago, whoami said:

I can share pictures if people are interested!

@whoami

Would love to see whatever you care to share - I really like the names you have picked out.  We have dogs, a cat, chickens and goats, but have never had a reptile!  Unless you count the small black snake 🐍who visited our side porch a couple of weeks ago!! 

16 minutes ago, Delta said:

@whoami

Would love to see whatever you care to share - I really like the names you have picked out.  We have dogs, a cat, chickens and goats, but have never had a reptile!  Unless you count the small black snake 🐍who visited our side porch a couple of weeks ago!! 

Thank you! I mostly picked their names based on either their colour or their personality.

For example, the painted agama (bandit) is named that way, because he will often snatch a cricket from my hand and then run away with it in his mouth. It's literally as if he's running away from robbing me lol.

I will post some pics when i'm home tonight :)!

I have several garder snakes under my house and a toad under my front steps, as well as a black snake in my shed and several newts from my creek. They are all wild - and I don't name them because I don't like them!!!! I also have seen very rare blue mountain mud crabs in my creek - they are federally protected, so we don't touch them. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I have several garder snakes under my house and a toad under my front steps, as well as a black snake in my shed and several newts from my creek. They are all wild - and I don't name them because I don't like them!!!! I also have seen very rare blue mountain mud crabs in my creek - they are federally protected, so we don't touch them. 

You're so lucky to have them in the wild! Here in canada, since its always cold outside during winter, we don't really have that many species of snakes. I've only seens grass-snakes where i live.

@whoami -we get freezing cold winters here - I live in eastern USA at above 3000 feet elevation, Appalachian mountains. We have soooooo many snakes here - including Rattlesnakes and Copperheads and TONS of non-poisonous snakes. We also have watersnakes ( very aggressive ) and little ring-neck snakes. Last year I saw a snake give live-birth!!!!! It was horrible - but to someone who likes snakes it would have been awesome. 

9 hours ago, Pistol said:

@whoami -we get freezing cold winters here - I live in eastern USA at above 3000 feet elevation, Appalachian mountains. We have soooooo many snakes here - including Rattlesnakes and Copperheads and TONS of non-poisonous snakes. We also have watersnakes ( very aggressive ) and little ring-neck snakes. Last year I saw a snake give live-birth!!!!! It was horrible - but to someone who likes snakes it would have been awesome. 

That for sure would've been awesome!

Here are some pictures of my babies. Challenge : find the most spoiled reptile of the bunch hahaha

20190410_173943.jpg

20190313_200014.jpg

20181225_143920.jpg

20190510_185321.jpg

20190608_090621.jpg

20181028_092707.jpg

20180831_154644.jpg

20180402_125642.jpg

@whoami

Oh dear, they are impossibly cute!!!  Thank you for sharing those and for the smiles!!  Their colors are gorgeous . . . I second @Pistol's question - do they interact with one another in a friendly way?  Do you ever take them outdoors?  I tried but could not guess which is the most spoiled, as they all look as if they are living the good life!!  

@Delta @Pistol To answer your question, it depends!

If they have been all fed prior to being introduced to each other, it is pretty safe to put them in the same vicinity. (For example, a bearded dragon and a leopard gecko). But if they haven't been fed, the bearded dragon may attack / try to eat the leopard gecko if he's hungry enough since its smaller than her and could be mistaken as prey. Supervision is always required.

Geckos can get together (outside of their enclosure) since they're all female. if i'd have any male, i wouldn't be able to put 2 close to each other, since they're very territorial and will try to fight to see who's the best / this is my turf and the food here is mine. I do not let out more than 2 reptiles out at all times, because should i need to separate them in a hurry, i only have 2 hands. The only exception to this rule is Aurore, my bearded dragon. She's pretty much a potato and if you put her beside a window, you are guaranteed to see her there for the next 3+ hours. Its also easier to baby sit them if only a select few are out, since they're so quick on their feet sometimes when they're spooked or something.

Generally speaking, you cannot house them together, because they all have different temperature, UV and moisture requirements. The painted agamas are currently housed together because they're still small and not territorial, but it wont last long. I will have to separate them eventually, especially if they both turn out to be males.

For the geckos, since they're females, i could house them together, but it's still a risk. Reptiles are solitary in nature, and generally do not like companionship outside of mating. With a human it's different : You provide them with food and shelter, so they associate you with security and comfort. But i can be gone for 3-4 days and they wont be sad that i'm not there. I still take them out everyday though!

@Delta Oh and delta, the one who's most spoiled is my bearded dragon, Aurore :). I always get her comfy for bed time and do a little "Beardie Burrito" with a blanket or something soft. She loves it.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...