Potassium always low.

Low potassium was one of the few things that always showed up in my blood work at the beginning of my journey. it is still low but not as low as at the beginning. I see this many times from patients with autonomic dysfunction. You would think it would be a clue!

On 7/15/2019 at 8:58 AM, bombsh3ll said:

Yes, any kind of cortisol supplement can potentially lower the potassium.

When I used to take licorice root (which basically tricks your own cortisol into acting like aldosterone, but has the unfortunate side effect of raising overall cortisol), my potassium tended to run low. 

Untreated my K+ runs higher as I am mineralocorticoid deficient. 

B xxx

3 hours ago, angelloz said:

Low potassium was one of the few things that always showed up in my blood work at the beginning of my journey. it is still low but not as low as at the beginning. I see this many times from patients with autonomic dysfunction. You would think it would be a clue!

Are you hyper pots?

14 hours ago, Outaker said:

Are you hyper pots?

That depends on the criteria used - My blood pressure goes up significantly when I stand, although not to hypertensive levels as it is low to begin with, so if all those with a postural rise in BP are classed as hyperadrenergic, then that is the category I would be in, however I understand some researchers define hyperadrenergic POTS by catecholamine levels, and mine are normal. 

I believe I have sympathetically mediated vasoconstriction as an appropriate physiological attempt to compensate for my hypovolaemia, just like a person who has lost blood or is acutely dehydrated would have. 

I therefore feel I best reflect the "hypovolaemic" or "low flow" subtype. 

B x