restless leg syndrome

gertie

Does anyone experience RLS?  If so, could you describe to me how it feels.  I've experienced what I think is RLS but it's hard for me to explain what I feel.  It feels like a kind of electrical shock that radiates down from my hip to my leg & I have to move when it starts.  It's almost painful.  The next day my legs seem to feel tight in the muscles & slightly sore.   I can't sleep or relax when I have an episode.  It usually effects one leg at a time & there doesn't seem to be any way I can lay to get relief.  If I take something like Lorazepam I can relax enough to go to sleep.  I've only had this happen a few times over the years.  Thanks!

I had restless leg syndrome every night when my POTS was at its worse thankfully as I have improved I only get it now on the bad days.

It is hard to describe , it was a feeling of being very uncomfortable and having to move , I would eventually have to walk about but if I sat down it would start again. I personally didn't experience electrical shock feeling , I'm not a Dr but electrical shock feeling is often associated with trapped nerves. Sciatic nerve  can cause a painful shock down the leg from hip to the ankle , 

Warm Epsom salt baths and stretching would help to ease it for a short while .

@gertie - my husband has RLS and he describes it similar to how @dancer65 describes it: an incredibly uncomfortable feeling that causes him to keep moving his legs, especially at night. Electric shock sensations, pain and the fact that yours happens in only one leg sounds like it should be evaluated by your PCP with xrays or maybe see a neurologist. 

Hi, @gertie!

Sorry you are dealing with these weird sensations . . . what you describe - "an electric shock that radiates down from your hip to your leg" - sounds like the way my husband describes it when he has a particularly nasty sciatica attack.  I have had what I *think* might be RLS a few times, but I'm not sure if that's what it is.  I would describe it as a "teeming" feeling in my leg (last couple of times I felt it, it was in one leg)  . . . as if my leg has all kinds of liveliness teeming inside, and I feel as if I need to move or shake it.  And yeh, it is when I first lay down to go to sleep.  It has not happened often, knock wood.  This probably sounds ridiculous,  but the way I have dealt with it is to try to ignore it!  I know, right?  Easier said than done.  But I start to think of other things to distract and keep my mind occupied - not worrisome things to keep me awake, but mundane things that make me sleepy, such as making a grocery list in my head, etc., and before too long I fall asleep.  If I feel it again, it will be too soon!!  I hope you are able to find relief soon, because what you describe does sound annoying!

RLS feels like you gotta dance or get up and walk or do anything to de-energize your legs. I've not experienced lightning bolt pain with RLS but I have had that with sciatica. Definitely see your neurologist, if you don't have one ask your cardiologist for a recommendation and they'll hook you up with someone who will also understand your dysautonomia. Sciatica hurts like mad  but it it very treatable, I am sorry you are hurting and I hope you can get some help soon. An epsom salts bath and aspirins may give you some relief in the meantime.