Eastern Tiger Swallowtail on Monarda

WinterSown

I've been converting my veggie and tomato beds over to pollinator-friendly plants. I'm enjoying the flowers and so are the pollinators. So nice for a butterfly to come by when I have a camera at hand. I walked very slowly up to it so it wouldn't be skittish, I took a video which I had to stand very still for. 

@WinterSown, great vid - thanks for the smiles!!  A few days ago, I missed what would have been two awesome photo ops if I had managed to whip out my phone soon enough.  The first was - and I am not kidding - a squirrel sitting on top of the head of the St. Francis of Assisi statue we have in our front yard!  I saw him from the house through the garage door window - I ran to get my phone which took maybe 10-15 seconds, but he was gone by the time I returned.  Later that day, a small black snake was on the brick stoop on the side of our house; I saw him from the door window.  Had my phone in my pocket, and no sooner did I twitch my arm to get the phone, than he slithered off! 

I've started feeding the birds squirrels and we love their antics. I put out a bag of niger seed for the finches and the first day the squirrels chewed a hole and picked the bag up by its bottom and poured the whole thing out! Again, no camera, but wow just the same. That's some smart squirrels out there. I tried putting orange halves on a platform feeder for the butterflies but the squirrels stole them too.