Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yhoun

Trapped nerve while sleeping?

I feel a little silly asking, but I’ve started to have more frequent episodes of waking up in the middle of the night (or in the middle of a nap) to find that my arm is numb and I can’t move my hand. Usually the left side. It feels like a trapped nerve, as within a minute or two,  I get the feeling back in my hand/arm. But it’s pretty scary while it’s happening. Does anybody else get this? Is this connected to POTS at all? Is this just me sleeping on it funny, or something else?

Do you experience this in certain positions but not others?  For example, I can't sleep with my arms folded across my chest because eventually my pinkie and ring fingers will go numb.  I don't think it is related to POTS, but just a trapped nerve from the way you are lying. 

The elbow and the wrist are common places for the ulnar and radial nerve to become trapped or pinched. If you’re sleeping in an awkward position or have these joints bent (like over your head or curled under your body, etc) it can surely causes tingling and numbness in your hand or arm. I almost always wake up at some point throughout the night with a numb or painful hand!! I tend to just straighten out my arm and hang it over the bed to restart proper circulation. I’ve heard that wearing elbow/wrist braces during sleep can prevent the nerves from slipping or becoming trapped. 

Best wishes - feel better!!

I get this from time to time . . . I don't think it's related to POTS per se but, since POTS affects blood circulation, I'm guessing that when you're sleeping in certain positions, the POTS may allow it to happen *easier* because your circulation is already compromised.  Rest easy! 🌛

Sounds like it could be a cervical issue with a nerve.