Working and having POTS

Hi,

I was diagnosed with POTS officially 7 years ago. I am a teacher and the past 2 years have been really rough and I resigned from the public school system after teaching for 16 years. I have found amazing doctors and want to feel hopeful because I found employment at a private institution. Less stress and Fridays off. I'm not going to lie about being afraid as well for this opportunity because I don't want my body to mess it up. Any advice? Positive feedback if you are working, etc. I appreciate it. Thank you.

I'm a professor at a comprehensive university (so teaching is more important than research).  I teach from a seated position to deal with POTS.  The nice thing about universities is that 1) certain accommodations I don't have to ask for, like this one, 2) I don't teach all day, just part of the day, and 3) professors are expected to be eccentric so sitting cross-legged on a table is consistent with expectations.  Your school might be willing to accommodate a request like this.  Or you might find that you have the freedom to just do it without asking.  I guess the question is how much do you reveal and ask for up front, and how much do you wait and reveal later if needed.

Thank you for the response. That makes a lot of sense. I'm going from a very traditional environment to nontraditional teaching environment. I will teach math one-on-one and the class size is 12 students. I don't think that they would say anything about me sitting. I'm just very nervous and scared because I don't want to have an issue and lose a job that I truly want. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. Lol. Just trying to see if I'm expecting too much I guess. Looking for reassurance as well because sometimes I feel alone. I appreciate you responding. I love that you sit cross legged on a table. 

I guess I am also scared to ask for anything or explain the situation because people fear the unknown.

Don't let your fears rule you!  Try the job and see.  You already know what is the worst that is likely to happen (you get fired or have to quit), so now think about good possible outcomes.  Imagine your self succeeding.  The human mind is devious and can make imagined outcomes happen, both good ones and bad ones. 

Also, plan out ahead of time what you will do if you start to feel poorly.  Wear the stupid annoying compression hose.  Do all the right things.  Etc.  I agree that if you are teaching math one-on-one, you ought to be able to sit with each child while discussing math problems.  Maybe your desk chair will roll.  Then you can roll it around with you as needed.

I am just doing it until I don't have to anymore. I've learned to adapt and push through, but also take it easier at times. I don't have a lot of choices. Just hanging on in order to figure this out. 

I agree with you. The compression stockings help. I definitely do it for enjoyment. I have a rolling chair so that will help a lot. It's difficult because I called disability and I don't know how people survive on that. I like what you said about the mind also. I definitely need to keep it positive! 😁

@Hershey - it may be a good ifea to inform your employer that there are some things you have to minimize for medical reasons, such as standing for a long time or sitting for a long time ( I have found that sitting for a long time also causes pooling and then dizziness when getting up ). This is an easy request and should not be difficult for you to do. I think that this position sounds really a good one for someone with Dysautonomia and wish you the best. Let us know how you are doing!!!!!