Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sufferer

Horizontal Exercise Options/Compression socks?

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I am a male 36 years old who hasn't had a diagnosis of dysautonomia or pots. All my life i haven't felt really energetic or looked energetic in any kind of way. I have always craved salt as well, since i was was younger i would literally eat bouillon cubes out of my hand. Always had the feeling of fainting as well.

I've had treatment for low cortisol, thyroid and testosterone. One of the key findings was i was low in vitamin d. High dosing it made my BP normal again, but horribly constipated (which is one of my other main issues). It didn't however solve the issue that when i do physical work where i have to lower my body multiple times and raise it (i.e. squat many times) i will nearly pass out. The hot weather doesn't help either.

 

I have had some success with exercise, namely stationary bike. I ride this for 20 minutes without pushing myself. This gives me a lot more energy but it still isn't enough.

 

Do you have any suggestions on exercises i can do for the lower body which can be done horizontally? I would love to go to the gym but i know myself and i probably won't be able to keep up this type of schedule.

 

I have thought of buying a leg press or machine for leg curls/extensiona, but my girlfriens will probably laugh as she knows i won't stick to the schedule and waste space :)

Any ideas for equipment, which is not too heavy to transport or too spacy?

I have tried stuff like mini stepper (vertical and murder on ky knees), and mini treadmill (murder on my knees).

Stationary bike doesn't kill me (i am probably a mild case) but i don't want to overdo it, so i am just looking for a strength counterpart to the cardio, which is just minimun effort but helpful. I am thinking leg presses, calf raises at the minimum.

Have tried the resistance band leg press but it's too shaky/wobbly.

Also do compression socks (not stockings) help in any meaningful way and what compression works for you?

Guessing that i'm a mild case i might get away with the stationary bike and compression socks.

 

Thanks!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The resistance band leg presses might feel wobbly because you are using small stabilizer muscles that you don't normally use much.  If this is the case, continuing to do them will result in improvements in stability as those small muscles strengthen.  You could also ask your girlfriend to push on your legs as you push back.  What about lying on your back and using your legs to push yourself backwards around the floor?  Or get one of those dollies that mechanics use to roll under a car and rig up something squats-like.  Maybe attach your resistance bands to it and to a wall, so you have to push against the resistance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lily said:

The resistance band leg presses might feel wobbly because you are using small stabilizer muscles that you don't normally use much.  If this is the case, continuing to do them will result in improvements in stability as those small muscles strengthen.  You could also ask your girlfriend to push on your legs as you push back.  What about lying on your back and using your legs to push yourself backwards around the floor?  Or get one of those dollies that mechanics use to roll under a car and rig up something squats-like.  Maybe attach your resistance bands to it and to a wall, so you have to push against the resistance?

I think your last idea is brilliant! Didn't think of this myself. Pretty cheap too. Might try to attach it to my large bed, and take a low resistance band as to not move the bed too much but at least get some resistance for a small pump and do more reps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is better? Pure calf compression or will socks suffice as well?

You know as a hairy dude i am not looking forward to have too much wrapped the entire day, especially summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sufferer - sorry, as far as I know knee-high is not even recommended, I assume socks are useless. To prevent blood pooling thigh-high or waist-high is best. Why don't you check with a medical supply store and have them advise you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My doctor recommends a rowing machine.  I bought one from Walmart for $119. It works all of your muscles,  not just your legs.  The arms fold in for easy storage and major bonus it doesn't make a horrible sound. Also try compression leggings.  These seem to help. But for me, I can't wear them very long because my skin is sensitive to constriction on my skin for a long period of time.  I also am exercise intolerant.  So I'm still finding a happy medium for how long I should do it for so I'm not miserable for the next week.  Best wishes to you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hhh16 - a rowing machine! What an excellent idea!!! Thank you for sharing, I think I will try that, it sounds perfect for my own abilities!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Sufferer said:

What is better? Pure calf compression or will socks suffice as well?

You know as a hairy dude i am not looking forward to have too much wrapped the entire day, especially summer.

Hey, I shave my legs and I hate them too.  Compression stockings help, but not so much that I want to wear them.  Upon complaining to my doctor, he said that if blood is pooling in my legs, it probably is also pooling in my abdomen.  He suggested trying Spanx.  So I bought an ultra-firm high-waisted thing and discovered that it works better than the stockings all on its own! So I have not been wearing the stockings.  My point here is to tease you about wearing a girdle.  But it might help!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 11:25 PM, Pistol said:

@Sufferer - sorry, as far as I know knee-high is not even recommended, I assume socks are useless. To prevent blood pooling thigh-high or waist-high is best. Why don't you check with a medical supply store and have them advise you? 

I read conflicting reports. Understood that POTS sufferers can have abdominal compression, but for other forms of dysautonomia this does not work.

I am looking for something that like i said doesn't irritate my skin.

As i'm a guy i really dont want to be wearing from feet all the way to the abs, so any working alternative would be great.

I read that the calves are really important in that they provide a "calf pump". Anyone hear this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 12:53 AM, Hhh16 said:

My doctor recommends a rowing machine.  I bought one from Walmart for $119. It works all of your muscles,  not just your legs.  The arms fold in for easy storage and major bonus it doesn't make a horrible sound. Also try compression leggings.  These seem to help. But for me, I can't wear them very long because my skin is sensitive to constriction on my skin for a long period of time.  I also am exercise intolerant.  So I'm still finding a happy medium for how long I should do it for so I'm not miserable for the next week.  Best wishes to you. 

I read this several times as alternative to recumbent bike. But what i remember from school/gym is that it feels way more intense of a workout.

In how far does this work out legs? As far as i can remember it feels like 10-20% leg muscle recruitment at most.

It also does not have leg resistance apart from via the rowing rope.

 

Any idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swimming and rowing are great exercises for dysautonomia. Also a recumbent bike can be easier than a regular bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:08 PM, Sufferer said:

Do you have any suggestions on exercises i can do for the lower body which can be done horizontally?

 

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:53 PM, Hhh16 said:

My doctor recommends a rowing machine.  I bought one from Walmart for $119. It works all of your muscles,  not just your legs.

I just purchased a cheap rowing machine ( bottom-of-the-line ) and I LOVE IT!!! It is perfect for my abilities, I am starting out at 2 minutes 3 x day on the lowest resistance setting and it just brings me to where my HR goes up ( desired effect ) but I do not get drained. It uses legs, arms and core -  so I no longer have to do separate exercises to target those individually. I am planning on increasing the exercises as per my  tolerance and am very optimistic about this. Thank you @Hhh16 for sharing this ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, calf muscles are the pump, specifically the Soleus muscle is what I am told. I think it is particularly difficult to isolate and work it. Have you consulted a PT? Maybe just one or two visits can help you learn what to do at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I credit my physical therapist for a lot of my improvements.  I started at physical therapy with a water treadmill, it helped a LOT.  I have a stationary bike, rowing machine and now a treadmill at home and use one or the other 3-5 times/week.  I do more minutes 3-4 times/week and shorter duration (10 minutes) as many other days as I can.  I also do strength training suggested by my PT 3 times/week.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...