Avoiding Triggers

Hello all, 

I am somewhat newly diagnosed with dysautonomia. I went undiagnosed for roughly 3 years so I'm extremely grateful to have found some answers.ing the al

I have always noted that when my diet gets thrown off (i.e. eating a lot of carbs, sugar, alcohol, etc) I experience a flare up of symptoms for about a week or so after.

I am 22 years old and avoiding the alcohol is especially hard. I have never been a heavy drinker at all. but there are times where I do feel that I want to be a "normal" guy in my 20s. I know that avoiding these triggers (esp alcohol) is essential to optimizing my health and would be in my best interest to avoid it altogether. Usually I get a feverish feeling, nasal congestion, my muscles with get tight, facial flushing and fatigue will continue for about a week after these triggers.

I guess my question is, if I indulge in these triggers once in a while,  will it prolong my recovery time?? I have read that some people make almost a full recovery from their symptoms. but if I have a cheat meal or go out with friends and have a couple drinks, will this delay my progress in getting better? 

I have learned to accept that if I choose to indulge in some of these things, that I must live with the short-term consequences, but if it is ultimately deterring from my long-term progress,  then I would start thinking twice about my dietary choices.

Sorry if this is a newbie question!

Thank you :)

@DatDudue55 - we all have to avoid our triggers but we also all cheat. I do not see how occaisional drinks would harm you long term. Having said that - plan for the recovery period afterwards. Also - there was another thread on this a while bck and someone recommended following drinks with water to stay hydrated. Alcohol dehydrates you and that is part of why it causes symptoms. Also eat a light meal and avoid heavy carbs ( they will make you crash ). --- In the end it is your decision if an evening having a few drinks with your friends is worth the consequences.  

If you drink alcohol once in a while it should be fine.  When I know I will be drinking I load up on extra fluids before and that helps to minimize the effects.    And when I feel like going out but not drinking, I sometimes get a club soda and tell people it's a vodka tonic.  :)

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

@DatDudue55 - we all have to avoid our triggers but we also all cheat. I do not see how occaisional drinks would harm you long term. Having said that - plan for the recovery period afterwards. Also - there was another thread on this a while bck and someone recommended following drinks with water to stay hydrated. Alcohol dehydrates you and that is part of why it causes symptoms. Also eat a light meal and avoid heavy carbs ( they will make you crash ). --- In the end it is your decision if an evening having a few drinks with your friends is worth the consequences.  

Thank you so much! I have read that as well and I have tried to do that as it does help me a little bit. I think it is better for me to avoid it entirely as it does make me crash for at least a day or two after. Thank you again for your response!

6 hours ago, yogini said:

If you drink alcohol once in a while it should be fine.  When I know I will be drinking I load up on extra fluids before and that helps to minimize the effects.    And when I feel like going out but not drinking, I sometimes get a club soda and tell people it's a vodka tonic.  :)

Thank you for your response! I like to think a drink here and there is fine, but the guilt after is always tough to deal with knowing that you did it to yourself. 

But that is actually a great idea. Thank you for this! I really appreciate your response!

Anytime.  I am better now.  I look back and think I wasted too much time feeling guilty (and also worrying about whether I would have a POTS episode every time I was out).  It never happened, though I had to sometimes pay after the fact it was worth it.   Im no doctor but think in moderation you should be fine. :)

On 6/2/2019 at 11:33 PM, Sarasw said:

Could you have a histamine intolerance issue with alcohol? Or an allergy to sulphites? Does it happen with all forms of alcohol? You might want to discuss this with your doctor.

I have thought about this as well, but sometimes I'm okay and others I'm not. I haven't really noticed a difference in reaction in certain alcohols.