Allergic symptoms flaring POTS

Pistol

I posted once before about noticing a POTS flare when I got bit by insects. Now I noticed it again: last week I started with high BP, increased palpitations and chest pain and only two days later did I see the poison ivy rash on my ankle. Today I sat down in the grass with my neighbor and started with chest pain, shortness of breath and told my neighbor that I had to go inside. Once I got up I realized that what I had been scratching at the whole time were ants biting my ankle - I had sat in an ants nest. Back in the house my BP nd HR were up and I had to go to bed ( took Benadryl just to make sure ). So - my POTS symptoms DEFINITELY get worse when an immune reaction is triggered ( colds or insect bites ). Does that have anything to do with auto-immune issue? 

@p8d and anyone else with autoimmune issues? 

Is it POTS symptoms flaring or is it a legit allergic reaction to the insect bites? I once ended up in the hospital from a simple mosquito bite due to major swelling and all the symptoms you describe - although I guess it’s hard to say for sure because a lot of the symptoms are similar. It’s all so interchangeable! 

Could be MCAS. Have you ever been tested for it? 

@jklass44 - yes, I have been tested once and all came out normal. I am pretty sensitive to insect bites too, a few times I swelled up when I got bit by the eye ( they called me Quasimodo ). In general I am not allergic to anything other than some meds. I read that there can be a correlation between the immune system and POTS, I think somehow certain antibodies trigger adrenaline release ( I don't quite remember, the article went over my head ). Hmmm ...

@RecipeForDisaster - the same thing happens to me: I get POTS symptoms and after a day or two I get the sniffles. I know that something is wrong long before the actual cold symptoms appear. You are right - it is annoying to be so extremely touchy. The slightest little thing pushes us over the edge! 

I think if the underlying cause of your POTS is autoimmune then anything that stimulates the autoimmune system is suspect to induce a flare. Most allergic reactions will have specific and non specific factors stimulated and released. The non specific factors may trigger your POTS symptoms.

I know I've had a major crash every spring from allergies since I can't remember when until the last two springs since I've been getting IVIg which seems to settle my autoimmune diseases down.  

Mayo has a blood test for autoimmune dysautonomia. Also if you have MCAS (mast cell activation disorder), you have to find an allergist who treats this and have blood test run to see if you have if, you might benefit from taking oral cromolyn (4X a day half an hour before meals). If the POTs flareup is so far and few between allergy invasions, then you might weight the tradeoffs. I tried cromolyn and there were no significant side effects. It can cost between $100-$200 a month depending on your insurance. 

@PistolI have reacted very badly to most insect bites for most of my life.  This is specific to lupus but I am sure it applies in general, especially those of us with autoimmune disease  https://www.lupusuk.org.uk/lupus-and-insect-bites/. I tested negative for mast cell and a trial of the recommended meds did nothing for me so I don’t think that’s much of a problem for me.  @toomanyproblemsI have been on SCIG since November so it will be interesting to see if I react less than previous years.  It’s still too bloody cool and wet here so far this spring/summer but as soon as it warms up the mosquitoes will be brutal so that will be a good test.

• 4 weeks later...