Should we wear compression garments during exercise?

Lily

Hi Lily my answer would be yes absolutely! Exercise is the time when we need it most to help push blood back to where it should be, and also to help counter the exercise induced vasodilation. 

There is also a lot of compression gear used by healthy sportspeople/athletes for the same reason, although they probably do not derive as much benefit from it as us.

B xxx

Great!  Thanks.  My cardiologist yesterday said that I ought to consider Spanx to cut down on abdominal pooling.  I didn't know that blood pooling in the abdomen doesn't show up like in the feet.  Anyway, I bought a Spanx high rise panty and I am wearing it today with my thigh high compression stockings.  Darn it!  It does help.  I hate the compression stockings, but adding the Spanx makes a huge difference.  I guess I will be wearing these more often.  Not sure about squats and deadlifts with them on, but we shall see.

we-must-wear-the-compression-hose-but-we-hates-it.jpg

Dear @Lily - I personally cannot wear compression garments since I have hyperPOTS and suffer from extreme vasodilation. But my sister has POTS also and she loves full stockings - ll the way up to the hip, like pantyhose. she states they fell better than thigh high, go on easier and don't feel too hot. Maybe they would work instead of spanx and thigh-high???

@Pistol, I did try the waist high hose.  My doctor recommended Sigvaris waist high because that brand has abdominal compression.  The problem I had with it was primarily that the waist band rolled down into a little binding tube around my waist.  That was more than a little annoying, because every time I fixed it, it rolled right back down again.  The other problem is that every trip to the toilet is another opportunity to poke holes in them with your fingernails.  If not for the first problem I might have started carrying my gloves with me, or cutting out the crotch.

@Lily - the problem with the elastic band rolling up happens often if you put them in the washer - you should always hand-wash them and air-dry them to keep the elastic from rolling up. Also - if you are cutting them with your nails you may need to trim your nails to protect the hose. 

@Pistol, Thanks for the tips.  Note that I have never machine washed any of the compression hose, yet all brands roll up on me.  Poking my fingers through was neatly solved by using the donning gloves, though.  They should sell those for regular nylon hose!

On 5/22/2019 at 10:55 AM, Pistol said:

she loves full stockings - ll the way up to the hip, like pantyhose. she states they fell better than thigh high, go on easier and don't feel too hot

I wear full tights by Sigvaris, class 2. Machine washable, last ages. I wear them all the time during the day, not just the 30 min I pedal my recumbent bike though. They look just like normal tights.

They can be hard to get on especially when new, but I wear knee high activa stockings underneath, & the tights glide on easily over these.

They are expensive to buy, but they are also the only thing for POTS I have ever been able to get free on NHS prescription here (I can get about £100 worth of compression wear a month on the NHS but not a £3 bag of saline!)

I tried thigh highs but they were useless. They kept rolling down, I don't even know how because I am chairbound. I can't imagine someone walking about without them ending up around their ankles. I have heard of some POTSies using some kind of glue to keep them up, but it doesn't sound worth it to me. 

B xxx

On 5/25/2019 at 4:45 PM, bombsh3ll said:

I tried thigh highs but they were useless. They kept rolling down, I don't even know how because I am chairbound. I can't imagine someone walking about without them ending up around their ankles.

That's weird.  I would think that they wouldn't go anywhere if your legs aren't moving much.  Perhaps all these issues with rolling is variation between our body shapes and the shapes assumed by the manufacturers.  For example, Sigvaris thigh highs fit me better than Juzo because Sigvaris's thighs are larger for the same size ankle.  The silicone band on the Eversheer is great.  It is not a bunch of little dots, but a wide strap of silicone.  It works for me, and they don't fall down as long as I make sure to wash the silicone band as well as the rest of the hose when I sink-wash them at night.

The best thing is to ask your doctor.  But I wore medical compression stockings when riding a bike and they did slide and they do help.  I've also tried the runner's stockings which are much more comfortable but not as effective on dysautonomia symptoms. 

Personally I have given up cardio.  I only do yoga and it only very rarely triggers my symptoms.