Are you suffering from a strange disorder?

My friend emailed me and told me on oprah.com she is looking for stories titled" Are you suffering from a strange medical disorder" I personally don't want to be on T.V. but I thought I could pass it along and maybe someone with more knowledge would take take the opportunity to tell the world about autonomic dysfunction.

Or everyone on this board could email her with your personal stories and than if enough do it maybe it would raise some curiousity and publicity which could lead to many benifits for research.

What do you think???

Dayna

Dayna,

I've checked on the Oprahsite and read the complete topic. It said: "Are you suffering from a . . . ." And below that it said: "do you suffer from any strange symptoms that are the result of a psychological disorder?"

As an example it said: "do you pull your own hair out?"

We're absolutely suffering from a strange (and not common) disorder and we may even pull our own hair out, but it certainly is not because of having a psychological disorder!!!

Corina

I'm with Corina on this one--yes, our disorders are strange, but we want to be sure not to continue to propagate the "it's all in your head" or "blame the patient" stereotype.

Granted, those people who have a bona fide psych disorder that causes them to self mutilate, etc., deserve medical and psych treatment and understanding. Let's leave this one for them...

BTW, I've written to the Oprah show more than once before asking them to cover ANS disorders, but they've never replied. Same with my local NBC and ABC affiliates.

Nina

Sorry guys, I should have checked out the information myself first. If I would have known it was re: psychological conditions I wont have posted it. Maybe my friend is trying to say my issues are psychological? If that's the case I'd like to pull her hair out.

Again my mistake

Dayna

Oh my.. you guys are so funny!

I think we should bombard the oprah show with our stories of dysautonomia... maybe if she saw it pop up enough she would take some interest in it.. it certainly isnt a "dull" topic.. not from where we are sitting.. or laying i should say... LOL

just a thought..

Nina your funny. I guess I won't pull her hair out because she didn't read it all either. Someone told her and so fourth. (she's lucky). It's like we're 5 and playing the telephone game.............Oprah is rich ...pass it on...............remember that game. Than at the end the last person would repeat it and it would be all wrong like" my bra itched" instead of oprah is rich! I know I'm a dork.

Oh to be little again

Goodnight ladies

Dayna

ladies, you all gave me a laugh :P i had already seen the topic on the oprah "wanted list" so when i saw it on the board i was like "oh no!" b/c i had read the description. reading the whole thread at once then gave me a chuckle. and while the hair pulling attack plan was a good one, i'm glad to hear danya that your friend didn't pass on the info to you having read the whole thing.

and yes, the days of the telephone game...

:-)melissa