Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skiller

Does anyone get scared at night

I get scared of the night some times because I think in all of the 3 am video on the web are true    but I know their fake but my nerves get the best of me if you are like me in this situation please comment below 

23 minutes ago, Skiller said:

I get scared of the night some times because I think in all of the 3 am video on the web are true    but I now their fake but my nerves get the best of me if you are like me in this situation please comment below 

Which videos are you talking about? I'm pretty scared all the time. Not because of videos. Because of my illness. If that makes you feel any better....

I have night terrors.  I actually dream that I fall asleep in the bed and room where I actually am, wearing what I am wearing and am terrorized by things going on around me. I wake up screaming, but can't tell if I am awake because it is all exactly the same as the dream except I don't know if there is an intruder in the house. It has been happening for decades. Even when I stay in a hotel, the dream is about the hotel room. It is amazing the detail I don't even know I can remember.  If you ask me those details when I am awake, I wouldn't remember them.

@Skiller - these feelings of terror can sometimes happen in dysautonomia if your adrenalin levels do not drop as they should. This can keep you from going into REM sleep and therefore induce these panic attacks. It will also cause insomnia and staying awake at night thinking instead of sleeping can cause it. Are you watching these videos at night? It has been proven that stopping all electronics , including TV, at least 2 hours before bedtime will prevent this and provide a healthier sleep. You may want to bring these fears up to your doctor, there might be something he can prescribe if nothing else helps. 

9 hours ago, KiminOrlando said:

I have night terrors.  I actually dream that I fall asleep in the bed and room where I actually am, wearing what I am wearing and am terrorized by things going on around me. I wake up screaming, but can't tell if I am awake because it is all exactly the same as the dream except I don't know if there is an intruder in the house. It has been happening for decades. Even when I stay in a hotel, the dream is about the hotel room. It is amazing the detail I don't even know I can remember.  If you ask me those details when I am awake, I wouldn't remember them.

This sounds a lot like sleep paralysis, to be honest. I used to get it a fair bit. Weirdly not so much since POTS started.

Have you ever noticed that events that happened in the "dream" actually happened?

9 hours ago, KiminOrlando said:

My brother has night terrors. When we lived at home, It got so bad that I would wake up before he had them. That's how predictable they were. Around 1:30am. He'd jump up screaming and run. I never saw him move so fast. One time my mom got in the way and he went through her. Another time he tried to get out of the window and broke it. We were in the second floor. He did a sleep study for it. They told him what to do and what not to do. He never said much of why or anything. Drinking can bring it on, that's all I know. 

I have nocturnal "panic attack" like episodes too, in fact I was awake most of last night. It's a horrible feeling. It can happen even if I've gone to bed feeling calm and happy. It is like an inexplicable physical sense of dread. I have a fitbit and it shows the spikes in my HR and me waking up at the corresponding times. 

I never slept well, even when healthy, but I have definitely only had these since POTS.

B xxx

1 hour ago, bombsh3ll said:

I have nocturnal "panic attack" like episodes too, in fact I was awake most of last night. It's a horrible feeling. It can happen even if I've gone to bed feeling calm and happy. It is like an inexplicable physical sense of dread. I have a fitbit and it shows the spikes in my HR and me waking up at the corresponding times. 

I never slept well, even when healthy, but I have definitely only had these since POTS.

B xxx

Have you ever been tested for sleep apnea?

4 hours ago, JimL said:

Have you ever been tested for sleep apnea?

No, I can see that being a logical step but I have no breathing symptoms and I don't really fit the clinical picture or the demographic. It doesn't always necessarily wake me from sleep either, I can wake spontaneously as I'm a light sleeper, feel OK for a couple of seconds then feel my heart start pounding & it kicks off. 

Also I don't think I could ever sleep with a CPAP machine!

B xxx

20 minutes ago, bombsh3ll said:

No, I can see that being a logical step but I have no breathing symptoms and I don't really fit the clinical picture or the demographic. It doesn't always necessarily wake me from sleep either, I can wake spontaneously as I'm a light sleeper, feel OK for a couple of seconds then feel my heart start pounding & it kicks off. 

Also I don't think I could ever sleep with a CPAP machine!

B xxx

You get used to it. There are also two different kind of apneas. Central and obstructive. Central is neurological. 

I don't fit the demographic at all myself... young thin female, very light drinker, never smoker. I actually look forward to putting my mask on at night. It was not hard to get used to and there are so many mask options now! I have both central and obstructive apnea and was diagnosed via a home test.

On 5/6/2019 at 4:28 PM, RecipeForDisaster said:

I don't fit the demographic at all myself... young thin female, very light drinker, never smoker. I actually look forward to putting my mask on at night. It was not hard to get used to and there are so many mask options now! I have both central and obstructive apnea and was diagnosed via a home test.

Actually you fit the demo pretty well. Most people with POTS are young and female.