Symptoms Get Worse When Talking??

Does anyone else have this problem where they will be out socializing and their symptoms flare up?

It's weird because I will be talking and I start to feel very light-headed, my face will get tingly, my sinuses get congested, my body feels really stiff and warm but no fever and it's hard to concentrate. I almost feel like I'm tipsy..... I'm sure this has a little bit to do with social stress, but I was wondering if anyone else has this happen to them when they talk a lot as well and if it's normal. 

Thank you!

Hi there. Yes I do know what you’re talking about! Whether I’m socializing with people or just out by myself trying to get some errands done I can get very lightheaded, congested, flushed, etc. and then I totally start to space out (which can make driving an issue for me).

I think you’re right in that social stress probably plays some factor, but it sounds like you have a very hypersensitive response to that sort of stimuli. A lot of people on this forum have hypertensive reactions to their environment - large groups of people, talking, sounds, lights - so you’re not alone!!

Hello @DatDudue55 - yep, I have this. When I go to someone's house or to a restaurant or any social event or even just talk on the phone … it is a major stressor. I always contributed it to the sheer amount of concentration it takes to function in that environment as well as all of the stimuli ( noise, having to react fast, different conversations etc ).  I unfortunately have to avoid these gatherings for the most part b/c to me it is not always worth the many days it takes to recover. If I do have to attend ( i.e. funerals etc ) then I rest ahead of the event and then cancel everything for a few days after. My biggest problem is that when out in public I am not easily able to retreat as soon as needed … and that can be detrimental to the symptoms of POTS. A flare is so terrible that it has to be a major event for me to risk it. So - yes, you are well understood!!!!! 

2 hours ago, jklass44 said:

Hi there. Yes I do know what you’re talking about! Whether I’m socializing with people or just out by myself trying to get some errands done I can get very lightheaded, congested, flushed, etc. and then I totally start to space out (which can make driving an issue for me).

I think you’re right in that social stress probably plays some factor, but it sounds like you have a very hypersensitive response to that sort of stimuli. A lot of people on this forum have hypertensive reactions to their environment - large groups of people, talking, sounds, lights - so you’re not alone!!

Ah! Thank you for your response. I was afraid I was alone in this. For some reason, I do notice that the driving and stimulating events do take some energy out of me. I think part is stress (because I partly know how it will make me feel after). But thank you again! I don't feel so alone with this now. 

45 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Hello @DatDudue55 - yep, I have this. When I go to someone's house or to a restaurant or any social event or even just talk on the phone … it is a major stressor. I always contributed it to the sheer amount of concentration it takes to function in that environment as well as all of the stimuli ( noise, having to react fast, different conversations etc ).  I unfortunately have to avoid these gatherings for the most part b/c to me it is not always worth the many days it takes to recover. If I do have to attend ( i.e. funerals etc ) then I rest ahead of the event and then cancel everything for a few days after. My biggest problem is that when out in public I am not easily able to retreat as soon as needed … and that can be detrimental to the symptoms of POTS. A flare is so terrible that it has to be a major event for me to risk it. So - yes, you are well understood!!!!! 

Thank you so much for your response! I'm really glad I'm not the only one who experiences this. I do notice that I have to plan out before and after if I'm trying to plan something out that's a little more "inclusive" as well. Thank you again for your response. I'm somewhat new to this thread and just got a diagnosis a couple weeks ago so I'm still trying to familiarize myself with everything. Everyone here has been very kind in their responses.

• 1 month later...

I've decided that I am an incandescent light bulb. I waste a lot of energy by producing unwanted heat. 

I get those symptoms whenever I use energy. It's amazing how many things require a lot of energy. Standing is a big one. I get hot and tingly after a couple of minutes of standing.

Thinking and talking also requires a lot of energy. Conversations often give me a problem. I need to take mental rests during a conversation to keep from feeling like I am about to faint.

I still limit phone calls and interacting with people.  Before I was diagnosed, and for several years afterwards, I really struggled with it.  In fact, when I was trying to work from home what finally made me realize even that was impossible was a conference call.  I very suddenly got extremely unwell, I now know it was norepinephrine dumping.  I was diagnosed after this.  I am better 5 years later with decent hyperadrengic control but it’s not something I enjoy doing, I still get sympathetic overdrive if I talk on the phone or in person too long.  Too long varies by day/hour.