Alternative compression-SCDs, EECP?

One of my doctors, desperately trying to find a way to help, wants me to get sequential compression devices for my legs. These are the pumps that cycle inflation to avoid blood clots in your legs... usually used after surgery. It's a novel idea-I really can't get tight enough/tall enough compression stockings on, it's too exhausting, and it's not worth it to pass out in order to get them on! Another doctor said to try ACE wraps around my legs, too.

Has anyone tried anything like these? The pump is quite expensive, and it does deflate, so I'm not sure how helpful it'll be. I found a study on the use of SCDs for hypotension during dialysis and also one for hypotension from spinal anesthesia. My one idea is to see if they'll be covered insurance due to my clotting disorders. If I get much worse, I'll be bedridden and at great risk for clots anyway.

EECP is another interesting modality. 

@RecipeForDisaster the SCD's would certainly help for both, POTS and clots. However - you can only use them when in bed, so you would still have to wear hose when upright. The SCD is made to inflate and deflate, therefore promoting circulation in the legs, mostly used during recovery from surgery.  Ace wraps are difficult to put on and it is almost impossible to get the right amount of pressure each time. In the old days I used to apply them frequently when I was a nurse, it is easy to wrap them too tight and actually CAUSE clots or cut off circulation. 

I normally am okay with clot risk-I am determined to stay pretty active, so unless I'm immobile or otherwise at extra risk, I'm not on any treatment/preventative for clotting. I do think maybe the clot risk would get these covered. Just curious about at home use.

I can't use them while seated? I do love putting my feet up. Good to know about the ACE wraps. Makes sense. Compression hose are just too exhausting to put on if they are tall enough and high enough pressure.

2 hours ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

Compression hose are just too exhausting to put on if they are tall enough and high enough pressure.

I find my compression tights slide on a lot easier with a knee high liner, especially if I put them on inside out (they seem to be shinier on the outside). 

The knee high I wear is Activa class 2, and the tights are Sigvaris class 2. 

To be honest I don't notice significant benefit from compression but wouldn't be without them as they may help just a little. 

My BP was never low though (until I came off licorice). 

B xxx

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

The SCD is made to inflate and deflate, therefore promoting circulation in the legs, mostly used during recovery from surgery. 

I found myself with a device like this pumping away on my legs when I woke up after having my daughter. It was quite bizarre and reminded me a bit of a cow being milked, but not uncomfortable unless trying to sleep. (I was healthy then). It isn't something you could walk around in, but then if you could you wouldn't need one. 

B xxx

That's the thing-compression helps, but not much, which is why I don't bother with taller or more compressive stockings. I've tried them... I'm using knee high 30mmHgs for now because they're not that awful to put on, and they help almost as much as the taller ones.

If I can get SCDs covered by insurance, and use them while seated (with my feet up?), and they're helpful... I also use a weighted blanket covering as much of my body as I can. That seems to compress some of my body!

@ I personally cannot use compression ganrments due to Raynaud's disease and excessive vasoconstriction. But my sister - who also has POTS - swears by using compression hose, all the way to the hip. It helps her tremendously and she claims it is way easier to put on than thigh high. 

You know, I'm not sure compression is good for my terrible circulation either-my extremities are cold and gray or purple.

I've never had amazing results from even waist high compression, so I don't believe it'd be worth it. I just layer tight spandex pants over my knee high ones.

the SCDs seem fairly easy to get on and since they inflate and pump... they seem more helpful.