I had a Nuclear Stress Test today.

I was went in kinda psyched because I've been in PT for two years and was looking forward to 'being impressive' on the treadmill--or at least much better than three years back when I had the last stress test. No, not for me, they said they were doing it with drugs--doctor's orders. Harummph! They gave me an injection and I suddenly felt very weak and brain-fried. Blech. Ugh. Skeeves. It wasn't painful but it was weirdly uncomfortable for a few minutes. It was a long afternoon of laying down under a machine that takes pictures of your heart. On the way back I stopped for coffee and a bear claw. I had to have some satisfaction to end the day.
https://www.nyuwinthrop.org/nuclear-cardiology

Best part? I have to remember for the next 24 hours I'm radioactive!

Hi @WinterSown - yes, I too had three of those stress tests in my 10 years of POTS. the first one - exercise stress test - I failed due to passing out. The second was done with medicine and I did OK. The third we TRIED the treadmill but I could not tolerate it so they went back to doing the chemical one. I passed them all because they did not show a blockage but I did not do good with the exercise. I hope yours will be good news!!!!!

@jklass44 - a stress test is non-invasive, it is done to put the heart under stress ( exercise or stimulating medications which make the heart beat really fast ) and then monitor the EKG during this time. If there was an area of damaged heart muscle from heart attack or any arrhythmias it will show up during the EKG. Before and afterwards they scan the heart ( like an xray ) after injecting dye that shows the coronary blood vessels. This would show any blockages or changes that occurred during the exercise or induced stress. 

An angiogram is an invasive procedure where they insert a catheter through the groin or into the wrist that threads directly into the blood vessels of the heart. This would also show any blockage or other conditions that affect the coronary arteries and also allows them in some cases to insert stents into the vessels that are blocked. However - this procedure can have serious risks ( it is a direct invasion into the heart itself and can cause bleeding, arrhythmias, clots and other complications that CAN cause death ). 

Usually the stress test is the first step and in most cases is sufficient for diagnosis or ruling out any issues. If the stress test is positive and shows a blockage or heart attack they usually do the heart cath ( or even a bypass if indicated ) at that time. 

Thanks @Pistol!! A stress test was one of the first things they did with me (and then another 5 times...) but I’ve never had the nuclear version of it. So are you saying that it’s basically just a noninvasive version of an angiogram? Because from what you’re describing they both diagnose/rule out very similar things, just with that added element of “exercise” on the stress test. Like if a physician found an abnormality on a regular stress test I’m wondering if next step would be a nuclear stress test or an angiogram... I guess it can depend on the patient as well. I’m always too curious on the “whys”!!

If I’m not mistaken, you were diagnosed with Printz Metal angina from your heart cath? Were you symptomatic at that time or did they induce an attack?

@jklass44  a nuclear stress test is a regular stress test. The nuclear part is when before nd after the exercise part you have to lie under an xray machine that is able to take images of the vascular system of the heart. This is done with any stress test. 

An angiogram is a completely different procedure that has to be done in an operating room under sterile conditions because they insert a catheter in your wrist or groin that gets threaded directly into the heart. This procedure also provides imaging but it is much more complicated than a stress test. 

Yes - when I had my heart cath the coronary blood vessels spasmed - that is how they diagnosed this condition. It was seen in the imaging portion and also was noticed manually while advancing the catheter into the coronary vessels. 

Mine was inconclusive because I couldn't finish it. My heart rate went too high too quickly. It's what cued the doc into this deal. After that he ordered the TTT. 

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

@jklass44  a nuclear stress test is a regular stress test. The nuclear part is when before nd after the exercise part you have to lie under an xray machine that is able to take images of the vascular system of the heart. This is done with any stress test.  

Oh, well that’s interesting then. I never had any xrays taken when I did any of my stress tests...