Sleep and Tiredness

Kaponos

What kind of experience is sleep for you all? Do you sleep long hours? Do you feel tired at night? Do you feel refreshed after a nights sleep?

Personally, I rarely find myself "tired" when night falls and sleep more as a conscious decision for my health rather than a innate need. The only time I ever feel tired is in waking, after many hours of unconsciousness that almost never leaves me feeling well rested.

Would be very interested in your stories.

I have such a hard time with sleep.  When I DO sleep, I sleep fairly well, but I can get 5 hours or 10 hours, and I still feel terrible when I wake up in the morning.  Mornings are TOUGH.  I feel sleepy often throughout the day and in the afternoon often drag again.  I do have trouble getting to sleep, or rather, I am tired all day until it is time to go to bed, and then I am wired.  I never feel rested in the morning either.

Lately I’ve been having a terrible time with sleep. Up all night sleep all day and sometimes 2 days no sleep at all. My Dr sent me for a sleep study several years ago and discovered I have something called “Periodic Limb Movement “.  This is much different than restless leg. The muscles in my legs contract to the point of “waking” up my brain..just enough then they relax. Observing me sleep you see no movement but the electrodes pick up the muscles. So when I do sleep I am being constantly awakened. The treatment is Klononpin which is a benzodiazepine. I also have chronic pain from EDS an cranocervical instability. In January my Dr made me choose between pain meds or Klononpin; I had to stop one due to the Opioid stuff going on. I decide to stop the Klononpin and haven’t slept right since. Tried Ambien, benedryl, zzzquil, Advil pm even melatonin.  Any input would be wonderful. Thanks. 

I take Clonidine - for my BP - but it also knocks me out within 45 minutes of taking it (I have to be really careful with where I am/what I’m doing for my morning dose). Unfortunately it doesn’t keep me asleep. I try and go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday, but my sleep is very choppy - I wake up multiple times throughout the night either from sweating, because I have to pee or some other random thing. I don’t feel well rested come morning time, and much like MeganMN it is extremely hard to peel myself out of bed and I have to drag my body around for most of the day. Fatigue has been a huge symptom for me over the years and this is most likely part of it. 

I have sleep apnea which is well treated, but most of my problem is very light sleep and discomfort. It's either pain, noise, some stupid thing, etc. waking me up, and then I don't feel good enough to fall asleep again. If not for my beta blocker, I wouldn't sleep at all. My pounding heart alone would make sleep nearly impossible. 

I very rarely wake refreshed and I follow sleep hygiene to a T. I am in bed plenty of time to get "enough" sleep, but with all the awakenings, it doesn't add up to nearly enough. I suspect my sleep quality is crap too. I use Benadryl, melatonin, Valerian, theanine, magnesium threonate, etc. alternating with an extra half metoprolol (I can take an extra whole one by my Rx). They help somewhat... not always enough! Benadryl is most likely to get me to sleep when I feel extra bad.

No problems falling asleep, but problems staying asleep. I go stretches where I wake up at the same time, usually 2:30-3am. It sucks because I usually can't fall back asleep or if I do, I have to wake up in a hour and I feel even worse then. 

when my POTS symptoms are acting up it is usually causing high adrenaline levels ( I have hyperPOTS ) and I do not sleep well at all. I wake up every 3 hours nd can't fall back to sleep. But when I am well I sleep like a baby!!!!!