Boston Neurologist needed

Kim Baker

I see Dr. Farhad at Mass General. He's in Dr. Oaklander's group and I like him, especially if you've already been diagnosed with SFN. He's given me a lot of options that I've read about but that no one else was offering.

There are people at Beth Israel in the autonomic neurology department who are supposed to be good. I first saw Dr. Novak at Brigham and Women's. He diagnosed me with POTS and small fiber neuropathy. However, when I went to see him for treatment, he was bereft of options, very impatient, and not really interested in helping, it seemed. I then transferred to Dr. Farhad at Mass General but it took me 10 months to get the appointment. So, I recommend you start with someone in Dr. Oaklander's group at Mass General, so you don't have the double wait time (like I had first to see Dr. Novak and then to transfer).

Good luck!

I wrote to both of you privately. I also waited more than a year to see Dr. Novak and have had a mediocre experience with him, although I do still see him. My biggest issue was when he did my SFN biopsies DURING my TTT and then wondered why it was inconclusive!! I was so scared and in pain.... 

I hate making a 90 minute trip to see him and spending 3 minutes in the exam room with no new ideas, I know we are frustrating by design, but that's not our fault!