Pituitary gland "growth"

Guest KiminOrlando

If it is a granuloma, they may try oral meds to make it go away. I went through something similar. 

It sounds scary, but don't freak out yet.

Of course I'm a hypocrite. I freaked out too. Turned out it was for no reason.

2 hours ago, KiminOrlando said:

Did they call it a granuloma or something else?

The ENT called it a growth. He is gonna order a different MRI to get a better look. I have appointments with an endocrinologist and neurologist coming up this month and next for unrelated matters so maybe they will be of help?

5 hours ago, potsiebarbie said:

The ENT called it a growth. He is gonna order a different MRI to get a better look. I have appointments with an endocrinologist and neurologist coming up this month and next for unrelated matters so maybe they will be of help?

They may be. If you can get a physical copy of the test you had that showed the growth, make sure you bring that with to those doctors. That way they can look at it and not the report. 

@potsiebarbie - when I go to my neurologist I go to the radiology department of my hospital and ask for an actual copy of the MRI - just the report is usually not enough for a neurologist, they like to look at the actual imaging, which comes on a disk. 

15 hours ago, KiminOrlando said:

If it is a granuloma, they may try oral meds to make it go away. I went through something similar. 

It sounds scary, but don't freak out yet.

Of course I'm a hypocrite. I freaked out too. Turned out it was for no reason.

I have one in my lung that hasn't gone away and my have gotten a little bigger. No one ever said there were meds to treat it. 

Guest KiminOrlando

Lung is different than pituitary. The oral med is for pituitary granulomas and it doesn't always work. 

I have rheumatoids in my lungs. They aren't going to do anything about it. Sometimes it is best to leave stuff alone because the process of 'fixing' it is worse than the original problem.

59 minutes ago, KiminOrlando said:

Lung is different than pituitary. The oral med is for pituitary granulomas and it doesn't always work. 

I have rheumatoids in my lungs. They aren't going to do anything about it. Sometimes it is best to leave stuff alone because the process of 'fixing' it is worse than the original problem.

I have one low in my left lung, almost 2cm. Don't know how I got it. 

Have you had the 24 hour urine testing done for Endocrine stuff? I looked up the testing recommendations at work on UptoDate and this is what it says: 

"We  suggest measurements of serum prolactin (lactotroph adenomas), insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) (somatotroph adenomas), and 24-hour urinary free cortisol (corticotroph adenomas). 

We recommend MRI as the single best and usually only imaging procedure for most sellar masses. Certain MRI findings suggest a greater likelihood of some kinds of sellar masses than others. As an example, finding a mass that is separate from the pituitary gland generally indicates that the mass is not a pituitary adenoma.

We recommend evaluation of hypothalamic-pituitary hormonal function whenever a sellar mass is encountered. Hormonal hypersecretion is caused only by pituitary adenomas. Consequently, the demonstration of hormonal hypersecretion identifies the sellar mass as a pituitary adenoma and also identifies the type of adenoma. (See 'Hormonal evaluation' above.)

The extent of the evaluation in a patient with an incidentally discovered intrasellar MRI signal abnormality (pituitary incidentaloma) depends upon its size. If it is larger than 10 mm, we recommend the hormonal evaluation as described above (see 'Hormonal evaluation' above). If it is smaller than 10 mm and the patient has no clinical findings of pituitary dysfunction, we recommend measuring only the serum prolactin concentration. (See "Incidentally discovered sellar masses (pituitary incidentalomas)".)

This is from UptoDate Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of gonadotroph and other clinically nonfunctioning pituitary adenomas

One of my brother in laws had one. He had it removed and has to be on some hormones for the rest of his life. In his case I think his hands and feet were growing and he had peripheral vision issues. 

20 hours ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

They may be. If you can get a physical copy of the test you had that showed the growth, make sure you bring that with to those doctors. That way they can look at it and not the report. 

I'm gonna try to get it before the appt but what is funny is that the neuro office only wants the report. 

13 hours ago, Pistol said:

@potsiebarbie - when I go to my neurologist I go to the radiology department of my hospital and ask for an actual copy of the MRI - just the report is usually not enough for a neurologist, they like to look at the actual imaging, which comes on a disk. 

The neuro office wants only the report- not the disc.  Should I be worried? Lol I'm gonna try to get both. 

1 hour ago, MeganMN said:

Have you had the 24 hour urine testing done for Endocrine stuff? I looked up the testing recommendations at work on UptoDate and this is what it says: 

"We  suggest measurements of serum prolactin (lactotroph adenomas), insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) (somatotroph adenomas), and 24-hour urinary free cortisol (corticotroph adenomas). 

We recommend MRI as the single best and usually only imaging procedure for most sellar masses. Certain MRI findings suggest a greater likelihood of some kinds of sellar masses than others. As an example, finding a mass that is separate from the pituitary gland generally indicates that the mass is not a pituitary adenoma.

We recommend evaluation of hypothalamic-pituitary hormonal function whenever a sellar mass is encountered. Hormonal hypersecretion is caused only by pituitary adenomas. Consequently, the demonstration of hormonal hypersecretion identifies the sellar mass as a pituitary adenoma and also identifies the type of adenoma. (See 'Hormonal evaluation' above.)

The extent of the evaluation in a patient with an incidentally discovered intrasellar MRI signal abnormality (pituitary incidentaloma) depends upon its size. If it is larger than 10 mm, we recommend the hormonal evaluation as described above (see 'Hormonal evaluation' above). If it is smaller than 10 mm and the patient has no clinical findings of pituitary dysfunction, we recommend measuring only the serum prolactin concentration. (See "Incidentally discovered sellar masses (pituitary incidentalomas)".)

This is from UptoDate Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of gonadotroph and other clinically nonfunctioning pituitary adenomas

No. Maybe the Endo will order it. I had 24 hr urine that showed I'm wasting magnesium. I wonder if they could be connected. 

15 hours ago, MeganMN said:

I could not find any relation, but hope you get some answers soon.  I am learning with my own journey that there are so many different roads, so many roller coasters, and when already feeling like poo, it is exhausting!  Good luck!!

Darn! I was hoping I didn't just have a bunch of different random stuff. 

I have a macroprolactinoma, a tumour on my pituitary gland. They are mostly benign. Wonder if that is what you have? I had most of mine removed last year. If you need any info just message me. They should be able to tell you what it is. I see a team consisting of Neurosurgeon and Endocrinologists. I've been seeing them for two years now. 

• 2 weeks later...