Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eraena

Chest tightness when standing still?

Recommended Posts

I've noticed that I have chest tightness when standing still in one spot. Usually standing still for 4-7mins causes it to occur. Sitting down or moving helps. It's a tight squeezing feeling in the middle of the chest, kind of like someone is squeezing your heart. Heat can also cause this sensation, if it's hot outside, or standing in front of a hot stove, or even opening a dishwasher.

Could this possibly be from blood pooling?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know know if it is blood pooling, but I have the exact sensation. Seems overloading of caffeine is another trigger for that particular symptom for me, as well as all you named. Usually when I check my HR it is elevated too. Are you taking anything to help your HR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

I don't know know if it is blood pooling, but I have the exact sensation. Seems overloading of caffeine is another trigger for that particular symptom for me, as well as all you named. Usually when I check my HR it is elevated too. Are you taking anything to help your HR?

I don't have POTS. I'm getting a full panel blood test on Monday, along with fasting for glucose test, just to rule out things that cause similar symptoms. But, everything at this point is coming back normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

Do you have another form of autonomic dysfunction? Have you had a PFT done?

Possible OH. After I stand/bend over I have pre-syncope (lightheadedness, vision dimming, noises sounds distant), but have not fainted, yet. I tried to catch the drop on my BP machine, but instead of going down, it went up (105/58 puls84 to 123/65 puls123). I have seen the systolic go from 104 to 78, and pulse go from low 70's to low 120's. I'm probably just too slow in catching the drop, or my system compensates the drop fast enough.

I have not had a PFT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have hyperPOTS, but I tend to get chest tightness/squeezing/pain when I have episodes of high blood pressure. I have low resting bp, but when I stand can have hypertensive spikes. I think the sudden increase is what gives me symptoms (most doctors say hypertension doesn’t cause symptoms, but that’s sustained). 

Heat is also a trigger for me, like taking a shower, causing more vasodilation and the most extreme blood pooling for me (very purple feet). In response, my bp/hr will spike.

Try checking your pulse and bp when you have symptoms and compare to baseline readings.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eraena said:

Possible OH. After I stand/bend over I have pre-syncope (lightheadedness, vision dimming, noises sounds distant), but have not fainted, yet. I tried to catch the drop on my BP machine, but instead of going down, it went up (105/58 puls84 to 123/65 puls123). I have seen the systolic go from 104 to 78, and pulse go from low 70's to low 120's. I'm probably just too slow in catching the drop, or my system compensates the drop fast enough.

I have not had a PFT.

How do you not have POTS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

How do you not have POTS?

My HR doesn't stay sustained. It just shoots up, and then heads back down. But, I have noticed POTS-like symptoms after exercise. It exaggerates my blood pooling. My HR while sitting after exercise can be 70's-80's, but goes up to 130-140 and stays there. It goes away after cooling down. Maybe I'm a mild case of POTS, just have to stand for a long time for symptoms to occur. Or, just have to have to right "ingredients" for symptoms to become worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you been checked for Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia? It was something my doctors ruled out in the beginning. 

Have you seen an EP cardiologist yet? Not all of us have but some see them. My local EP told my cardiologist to send me 3 hours away to a specialist for POTS. My TTT confirmed my POTS before the referral though. Glad he did though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Spiders from Mars - I share a lot of your symptoms and triggers as you described in your latest comment.

10 hours ago, Spiders from Mars said:

most doctors say hypertension doesn’t cause symptoms,

I KNOW that this is inaccurate!! Like you I get chest pain and tremors/ chills when my BP goes up even slightly. And if it continues to rise I pass out or have autonomic seizures - so yes, hypertension absolutely can cause symptoms!! But in their defense - some people have a type of hypertension that starts very mild, without symptoms, and as it gets worse they can get used to having elevated BP. In hyperPOTS it is the sudden and significant rise that causes the symptoms.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

Have you been checked for Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia? It was something my doctors ruled out in the beginning. 

Have you seen an EP cardiologist yet? Not all of us have but some see them. My local EP told my cardiologist to send me 3 hours away to a specialist for POTS. My TTT confirmed my POTS before the referral though. Glad he did though. 

I've been to a cardiologist, and anything and everything heart related came back normal, except bradycardia and hypotension. The cardiologist was the one to see the HR increase. But, my BP did drop (120/76 to 90/60.). He did diagnosed me with POTS, but I knew I didn't have it because I don't have a sustained 30+ HR. It shoots up like someone with POTS, but evens out within a minute or so. (e.g. My HR while sitting is 70's, shoots up to 120-130's, but not long after, heads back down to 70-80's and stays there.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eraena said:

I've been to a cardiologist, and anything and everything heart related came back normal, except bradycardia and hypotension. The cardiologist was the one to see the HR increase. But, my BP did drop (120/76 to 90/60.). He did diagnosed me with POTS, but I knew I didn't have it because I don't have a sustained 30+ HR. It shoots up like someone with POTS, but evens out within a minute or so. (e.g. My HR while sitting is 70's, shoots up to 120-130's, but not long after, heads back down to 70-80's and stays there.)

It could be a reaction to the blood pressure changes. Sometimes tachycardia is used to compensate for BP changes. Have you dug into other dysautonomias?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Eraena said:

I've been to a cardiologist, and anything and everything heart related came back normal, except bradycardia and hypotension. The cardiologist was the one to see the HR increase. But, my BP did drop (120/76 to 90/60.). He did diagnosed me with POTS, but I knew I didn't have it because I don't have a sustained 30+ HR. It shoots up like someone with POTS, but evens out within a minute or so. (e.g. My HR while sitting is 70's, shoots up to 120-130's, but not long after, heads back down to 70-80's and stays there.)

I have the same, it does mean we both do have a form of dysautonomia, its severe orthostatic hypotension. I have the same, from lying down my HR is around 48/55, then shoots up to 150+, it is an absolutely crazy postural change!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a tight chest all of the time and struggle to breathe sometimes. About five years ago tests showed that my lung volume had decreased. It doesn't help that I have large heavy boobs! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...