Exercise Advice??

Hello everyone,

This is my second post in this forum. My question is geared more towards those who have an exercise intolerance not with syncope, but with tendency for an extremely high heart rate upon exercise.

I've always been an active kid, but a couple years ago (way before my diagnosis or any other severe symptoms), I noticed my HR gets extremely high with minimal exercise. I could jog for like 3 minutes and it would get to 200. I realize now that this is why cardio was alway increasingly difficult for me. Since my diagnosis, I've been really busy (and also nervous) to start exercising again, but I know I NEED to.

My question is, how did you guys start exercising? What exercises did you do to tolerate the high heart rate? Did it eventually get better? How long did it take? Questions like that, I really need advice on this topic.

Very slow exercises, to your tolerance. I started with recumbent exercises, then sitting and then graduated to walking, a few minutes every day. I also do core and leg strengthening exercises and mild weight lifting. But I only do ONE group of exercises a day and divide up over the whole day. I started off by doing one exercise whenever there was a commercial on TV. That can be a lot during an hour show - you may not be able to do that at first. ? We have to pace ourselves - too much exercise will make us worse - so will no exercise!!!!!

@p8d @bombsh3ll Yes, I'm on beta blockers, but they don't help much with exercise tachycardia. My resting rate is much better, but the exercise intolerance is still pretty severe. I've noticed a significant decline in my tolerance over the last few years despite periods of exercise. However, I'm not really supposed to be on beta blockers because I also have an AV block (aka heart block). 

@aelizabeth3300 - I did not get relief until I found the right one for me after 4 tries ( carvelidol ) and once we determined that I tolerated the lowest dose we increased it. Just taking  BB may not be enough, you may have to increase the dose slowly like I had to. I started at 3.125 mg and now am on 25 mg - just to show you how much I had to slowly increase to get the right effect. Depending on your type of POTS you may not need to increase as much BUT - if the current dose is not enough you may want to ask your doctor if you should increase the dose slightly to see if it helps. In my case this was the ONLY way to find the right dosage of all of my cardiac meds - slow adjustment.