Is this symptom common in pots!

Aida A

Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed with POTS! I uave my good and bad days. I’m on exercise program and zoloft and both help a lot. I still get episodes of impending doom accompanied by dizziness and urgency to defecate! These episodes last for 5 minutes and goes away. Are these symptoms typical of POTS? My doctor thinks it’s related but wantes to check with you. Not sure why i have this urgency to defecate when I get these episodes. I’m very worried there is something else going on that was left undiagnosed. Please help me with this!

Aida

I always get the urgency to urinate when I stand up, regardless of if I’ve already voided. I also get intermittent episodes of diarrhea and I’ll have the urgency then, but no other time. 

Hopefully you find out what’s causing it or if it’s POTS related! Best wishes. 

I think it is due to the sympathetic NS over reacting, those symptoms are part of the fight-or-flight response. You know how people get so scared they loose bowel and bladder control? That is the same mechanism. Sounds like an overabundance of adrenaline. 

Agree it is most likely to be related to high levels of sympathetic nervous system activity (many healthy people also feel the need to go when emotionally frightened). 

It could also be a side effect of your SSRI zoloft, this class are known to cause GI effects. In this case it may well settle down if you haven't been on the med long. 

Do have it checked out though if there are any more concerning symptoms such as persistent diarrhoea, passing blood, weight loss, abdominal pain or incontinence etc. 

B xxx