Feeling Hopeless, how do I cope?

Meemee

Hi again, so sorry to keep on posting, this is all just very new to me so I end up having lots of questions!

I'm having a very hard time at the moment, which sadly I'm sure you're all far too familiar with. Every day I seem to be getting worse, I feel weaker and weaker and have become so slow and tired.  Its making me feel like I just want to give up, every day is so hard. Its coming up to exams at university so I have to try and get myself to my lectures but I'm so mentally drained also with the worst brain fog! After all the tests I've had done its seeming less likely that they are going to find the cause of my autonomic dysfunction. Sorry if it sounds like I'm just complaining, I just wanted to know how to cope with all of this? You all have already been so helpful and I'm really grateful for this forum; it has made this problem in my life far easier to deal with. ❤️

Hi Memee

I really can empathise with you, I use to sit in tears from anger, frustration and feeling that I couldn't keep trying to deal with all the symptons . For me I have no doubt stress really makes me worse, it saps my already low  energy 

Pacing , I work a few hours  then for an hour i rest,  meditate and practise deep breathing as I often can't sleep in the dayeven though I am exhausted. Clearing the mind helps me to relax to give me a little more energy.I do this a rew times a day. My work days are very long due to all the rests I take but it  at least means I am working ! 

Lists and planning. I have learnt to be realistic in my expectations of what i can do. I have one list of things that are urgent  that day and another of things I would like to achieve , I have learnt not to beat myself up if I don't get it all done. 

Prioritise looking after yourself , eating well , exercise , etc

Try to get into good sleeping habits , I suffered terribly with insomnia but now I average 7 hours a night . I notice on the nights I don't get much deep sleep I feel exhausted .

Good luck with your exams x

@Meemee You could try and help decrease brain fog by avoiding sugar and sugar-containing products, particularly sodas and sweets, but also white bread, pasta, and white rice, which are the most common culprits related to brain fog. These ultra-processed foods are metabolized very quickly and cause blood sugar to spike then drop, which naturally makes you tired and results in brain fog.

@Meemee - I agree with @dancer65. It is ESSENTIAL to balance activity with rest. I have found that certain activities ( like studying for exams or computer time ) drains mental energy, whereas physical activity can drain OR give you energy. I have found in my own life that a period of mental activity followed by a brief time of MINDLESS physical activity ( exercise if able, or light housework such as folding laundry ) and then 10 minutes of rest ( whatever you perceive it to be )  enable me to be productive. If I attempt to function like a "normal" person I fail miserably!!!