Pots & Magnesium

57 minutes ago, potsiebarbie said:

Do you guys think pots can drain/use up your magnesium? Anybody have any problems/experience/thoughts on the matter? 

Could happen if your diet is off and/or you're urinating a lot. 

Spinach is a good source and maybe almonds? There are also magnesium citrate capsules, but they will loses things up. They will also make one sleepy. Best taken before bed. 

I take half a teaspoon of mag citrate powder most nights mixed in a drink. It is tasteless when added to something like chocolate milkshake or a smoothie. 

I understand that both high sympathetic activation (typically the case in POTS) and licorice root/florinef (I took the former until recently) can deplete it. 

The only symptomatic difference for me is it relieves constipation which I am prone to. It can certainly lead to diarrhea if you are sensitive or take too much. 

Some people also report it helping with palpitations although I haven't found that personally.

B x

On 3/28/2019 at 12:19 PM, bombsh3ll said:

I take half a teaspoon of mag citrate powder most nights mixed in a drink. It is tasteless when added to something like chocolate milkshake or a smoothie. 

I understand that both high sympathetic activation (typically the case in POTS) and licorice root/florinef (I took the former until recently) can deplete it. 

The only symptomatic difference for me is it relieves constipation which I am prone to. It can certainly lead to diarrhea if you are sensitive or take too much. 

Some people also report it helping with palpitations although I haven't found that personally.

B x

The only way I get diarrhea is if I drink a bottle of citrate of magnesia. 

On 3/31/2019 at 6:42 PM, JimL said:

The only way I get diarrhea is if I drink a bottle of citrate of magnesia. 

Yuk! I've heard magnesium comes in enemas too, although I don't think they are used here in the UK.

Anyway glad to see you back on here after your surgery Jim, how did it go?

B xxx

7 hours ago, bombsh3ll said:

Yuk! I've heard magnesium comes in enemas too, although I don't think they are used here in the UK.

Anyway glad to see you back on here after your surgery Jim, how did it go?

B xxx

It went. Having trouble swallowing and coughing. Will call the doc tomorrow. I thought this part would get better by now. They said it went well. We'll see. 

• 2 weeks later...

There are other forms of magnesium that are less likely to cause digestive problems.  Magnesium Citrate is used as a laxative, and it is going to cause problems unless you take small doses. 

Magnesium Glycinate:  Supposed to be well tolerated. I've had good luck with it at bedtime.  Seems to help with sleep.

Magnesium Malate: Supposed to be well tolerated. I've had good luck with it at bedtime.  This seemed to help with lethargy after getting off of Gabapentin when Mg Glycinate didn't seem to help.

Magnesium Theonate:  Supposed to be somewhat better for reaching the brain.  It didn't seem to help me sleep.

Magnesium Taurate: Supposed to be somewhat better than the others for heart rate issues.

On 4/16/2019 at 12:23 PM, misseb said:

I was told to take 1200mg of magnesium citrate a day, but I can't get over 200mg without having autonomic symptoms. I am stumbling around, and really light sensitive the next day if I take more. 

It can make you sleepy and also make one go to the bathroom. 

On 4/14/2019 at 10:39 AM, Jason_X said:

There are other forms of magnesium that are less likely to cause digestive problems.  Magnesium Citrate is used as a laxative, and it is going to cause problems unless you take small doses. 

Magnesium Glycinate:  Supposed to be well tolerated. I've had good luck with it at bedtime.  Seems to help with sleep.

Magnesium Malate: Supposed to be well tolerated. I've had good luck with it at bedtime.  This seemed to help with lethargy after getting off of Gabapentin when Mg Glycinate didn't seem to help.

Magnesium Theonate:  Supposed to be somewhat better for reaching the brain.  It didn't seem to help me sleep.

Magnesium Taurate: Supposed to be somewhat better than the others for heart rate issues.

I think I will try the glycinate. Do you know if it does the same? Like if I took 400 mg of citrate is it safe to assume I'd take 400 of glycinate?

On 4/16/2019 at 12:23 PM, misseb said:

I was told to take 1200mg of magnesium citrate a day, but I can't get over 200mg without having autonomic symptoms. I am stumbling around, and really light sensitive the next day if I take more. 

Have you tried splitting it up throughout the day? Which doc wanted you to take it and why?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 4:30 PM, potsiebarbie said:

What's your diagnosis? Does your doc know why your mag is low? How are your other electrolytes?

I have many conditions including POTS. No my doc doesn't know why. My other electrolytes are normal. Sorry for the late reply, I was about to die, I was extremely sick.