Autonomic Neuropathy...

Meemee

Hi again! I have just seen a neurologist yesterday who suspects that I have a case of autonomic neuropathy. I am waiting to undergo some tests to confirm this. This has scared me a bit because I have heard that this condition isn't very treatable, especially if the underlying cause isn't found... I was wondering if anyone could reassure me; do you know of any effective treatment for autonomic neuropathy, or will I just have to grin and bear this for the rest of my life? Its having a really negative effect on my life already, and I'm just starting uni šŸ˜•

Any response would be really appreciated! Many thanks xxxx

Hello @Meemee - please do not despair! If you are just in the process of being diagnosed you have not even been properly treated yet. There are many different medications that have been proven to ease the symptoms of dysautonomia. I myself tried many, many meds but eventually found the treatment that was right for me and today am much better. It takes a lot of lifestyle changes as well, though. There is no magic pill, we have to be good to our bodies in addition to taking meds. Think positive, do not loose hope and be good to yourself!!!

14 hours ago, Pistol said:

Hello @Meemee - please do not despair! If you are just in the process of being diagnosed you have not even been properly treated yet. There are many different medications that have been proven to ease the symptoms of dysautonomia. I myself tried many, many meds but eventually found the treatment that was right for me and today am much better. It takes a lot of lifestyle changes as well, though. There is no magic pill, we have to be good to our bodies in addition to taking meds. Think positive, do not loose hope and be good to yourself!!!

Thank you so much for your message, I feel much better :) I'll try not to worry, I'm so glad you have found something that works for you xxx

The management is towards lessening the symptoms. One of the biggest assists for me come from eating a healthy diet and focusing on foods that are rich in electrolytes. Walking is a great exercise that will help with elimination. In the beginning of my symptoms I lost 60 pounds without trying and I needed surgery to close a fissure. Ugh.IĀ  suggest that if you have any problems with your digestion or passage that you do see a gastro before you need to see a colorectal surgeon. Once we realized how dysautonomia was effecting my digestion I was able to make some changes and start improving. My cardiologist, EP and neuro do all help me with these symptoms, and all the rest of them too. This is a treatable condition--it can take a little time to learn how to limit its effects but that will happen.Ā 

Ā 

19 hours ago, WinterSown said:

The management is towards lessening the symptoms. One of the biggest assists for meĀ come from eating a healthy diet and focusing on foods that are rich in electrolytes. Walking is a great exercise that will help with elimination. In the beginning of my symptoms I lost 60 pounds without trying and I needed surgery to close a fissure. Ugh.IĀ  suggest that if you have any problems with your digestion or passage that you do see a gastro before you need to see a colorectal surgeon. Once we realized how dysautonomia was effecting my digestion I was able to make some changes and start improving. My cardiologist, EP and neuro do all help me with these symptoms, and all the rest of them too. This is a treatable condition--it can take a little time to learn how to limit its effects but that will happen.Ā 

Ā 

I asked this in another thread of someone else, Ā so forgive me. What changes in your diet did you make? My emination has slowed and more effort. I've tried more fiber and it doesn't always make things better. It's like I can't find food that seems to make a difference. I lost a lot of weight before POTS, down 170ish now. My gastro wants to do an EGD and colonoscopy, but I have cervical fusion next week and I can't or shouldn't be knocked out within 30 days of the surgery. So I have to wait. Last night I woke up with abdomen pain on both sides.Ā 

On 3/21/2019 at 6:04 PM, WinterSown said:

The management is towards lessening the symptoms. One of the biggest assists for me come from eating a healthy diet and focusing on foods that are rich in electrolytes. Walking is a great exercise that will help with elimination. In the beginning of my symptoms I lost 60 pounds without trying and I needed surgery to close a fissure. Ugh.IĀ  suggest that if you have any problems with your digestion or passage that you do see a gastro before you need to see a colorectal surgeon. Once we realized how dysautonomia was effecting my digestion I was able to make some changes and start improving. My cardiologist, EP and neuro do all help me with these symptoms, and all the rest of them too. This is a treatable condition--it can take a little time to learn how to limit its effects but that will happen.Ā 

Ā 

Thank you for your response, I definitely need to improve my diet! I'm glad to hear it is treatableĀ  :)Ā