Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Derek1987

For people with adrenaline problems. How do you sleep?

Recommended Posts

I take Xanax to help me sleep(or just general anxiety during the day) but it never gives me a deep good sleep. And that's 2mg. I woke up after 4 hours even though I'm exhausted. I went to 3 different places today and I feel I'll, exhausted, and major hand tingling for some reason. 

 

How do you manage to get good sleep? I'm so tired and my body won't calm down enough to sleep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it wasn't for metoprolol helping to calm down my heart, I wouldn't sleep. I add theanine, or Benadryl if it's a really bad night, or melatonin if I haven't gotten outdoors. I still don't sleep very well but these help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An alpha blocker, gabapentin and mitrazapine are the only things that help me and even then it’s iffy.  I do tend to sleep better on days I do aerobic exercise but not always.  My meds were trial and error (every sleeping pill/antihistamine etc) and the gaba is for SFN it just happens to help.  My neurologist will not let me take benzos or opioids, she says they make dys worse.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clonidine FTW!  That stuff is known to make you sleepy and suppress the release of adrenaline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, haugr said:

Clonidine FTW!  That stuff is known to make you sleepy and suppress the release of adrenaline.

I was cautioned about this too when I first started on Clonidine but it has the opposite effect on me - I can fall asleep pretty easily after taking it but I’m woken every 2ish hours during the night like clockwork!! I don’t think it’s doing it’s job anymore lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have sleep apnea at all?

I used to take benedryl when I couldn't get to sleep. Now I fall asleep pretty easily. Thing for me is not to try to go to sleep too early unless I am really tired. It's like I can't tell myself to sleep, but if I try to stay up past 10, I go to sleep. It's like reverse psychology. My problem is staying asleep. I tend to wake up at 3am for no reason and then it takes an hour or more to get back to sleep. I use a CPAP too. Before that, I would start to nod off when driving in the afternoon. Not good. CPAP cured that tired feeling during the day, but I haven't gotten 8 hours straight in a long time. Years maybe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using CPAP for about 7 years. I was hoping it was the cure for all of my ills. I didn't have a clue what else was wrong with me... it has helped some issues but certainly not all of them. Still, I need it.

I sleep ridiculously lightly which drives me nuts. I get a little hot or cold, there's a tiny sound or vibration, and not only am I awake, my heart is pounding and won't let up... so I'm awake for a long time.

I'd recommend that anyone with a suspicion of sleep apnea get the simple at home sleep test done, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with a previous post about the metoprolol and melatonin. I also listen to audio books to help me sleep. Someone with a soothing voice. My son is currently going through the same thing. Just make sure you are going to bed and getting up about the same time. Your body should eventually get used to it. A fan might help too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JimL said:

Do you have sleep apnea at all?

I used to take benedryl when I couldn't get to sleep. Now I fall asleep pretty easily. Thing for me is not to try to go to sleep too early unless I am really tired. It's like I can't tell myself to sleep, but if I try to stay up past 10, I go to sleep. It's like reverse psychology. My problem is staying asleep. I tend to wake up at 3am for no reason and then it takes an hour or more to get back to sleep. I use a CPAP too. Before that, I would start to nod off when driving in the afternoon. Not good. CPAP cured that tired feeling during the day, but I haven't gotten 8 hours straight in a long time. Years maybe. 

I took a sleep apnea test after my last day at work. So probably October 2018 or somewhere. They said I didn't have it. Although I know I can't sleep on my back. I can't breathe on my back.  But yeah they said I didn't have it. I've taken benadryl for years to sleep. Even though I I am exhausted, I still need something to make me sleep. I guess now I know why. The adrenaline problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was the most unstable I also could not sleep more than 3 hours in a stretch b/c the adrenaline level did not go down to cause REM sleep. Once I found a more balanced way of life through meds, exercise and rest periods I now sleep well most nights. The nights I do not sleep well - mostly due to overdoing things during the day - I use Benadryl or Ativan and this seems to help well. You mentioned in another post that you are mostly bedridden - core exercises before bed ( lying down ) help really well, also leg exercises. They also help with training the larger muscles necessary to help balancing the cardio-vascular system. Bedrest will make EVERYTHING worse, including the ability to find restful sleep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 3:47 AM, Derek1987 said:

I take Xanax to help me sleep(or just general anxiety during the day) but it never gives me a deep good sleep. And that's 2mg. I woke up after 4 hours even though I'm exhausted. I went to 3 different places today and I feel I'll, exhausted, and major hand tingling for some reason. 

 

How do you manage to get good sleep? I'm so tired and my body won't calm down enough to sleep. 

Well I used to just take xanax and it only gave me like an hour of sleep. Don't let them put you on an anti psychotic that causes weight gain, zyprexa helped me but caused like 100 lbs weight gain most of which I have lost now. I take klonopin, and I take melatonin, and I take a high dose of trazadone. Trazadone doesn't really have many side effects and it's one of the few drugs that gives people stage 4 sleep. Basically I take a bunch of pills but those are the most helpful. Oh and I take bystolic which helped tremendously with my heart rate, it's a beta blocker. In my sleep study I have tachycardia IN MY SLEEP. So this awesome pots doctors put me on bystolic and that fixed the problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some of the things I do to help me sleep.  I do not do all of these every day, but some of them are routine.  Slow deep breathing, a shower before bed, avoid or block blue light frequencies about an hour before bed, no internet surfing in bed, relaxing music, pray a rosary, make up a plotline for a novel and work on the details (or some other all-consuming but completely unnecessary thinking task).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...