Leg Pain - New sympton

nik1980

That sounds awful, I’m so sorry! My first thought was peripheral neuropathy. I don’t know much about that condition but that it can affect the nerves in the extremities. I get leg pain but it’s mostly contained to my thighs and buttocks... Do antiinflammatories help? Heat therapy?

I have leg pain also. The sensation and intensity vary - can be burning feet, only in thighs, sharp pain, dull pain, shifting in location or set. Sometimes it’s worse at night and others worse after movement. Triggers seem to vary as well - foods, exertion, weather changes. I was originally diagnosed with fibromyalgia and have had this pain all over my body for years. It seems to be most often and most intensely in my legs for the past several months. 

I don’t have any grand treatment ideas for you, unfortunately. I haven’t found anything that touches the pain except for time and rest. Ive tried gabapentin, lyrica, doxepin, tylenol 3 with codeine, and pred and none touched the pain. I tried low dose naltrexone and that did help but only seemed to work for a month. I’ve got a long history of neck issues and am just looking into the CCI/AAI info to see if that is part of my picture as well. Makes sense that compression on the spinal cord can cause all kinds of symptoms, one being pain (plus the leg nerves are closer to the periphery of the spinal cord and can be affected first by compression). 

Anything that you can identify that has changed for you? Medication, exertion level, exercises, more bed-ridden days? Certainly get it checked out with your doctor as it may not be Dysautonomia related and may respond to treatment. Hope others can provide more insight. 

I get something similar. It is intense thigh pain. Usually the first or second day of my period. I also always have varying pain right above my heels on my feet. I dangle them off the bed at night at it is manageable. The thigh pain I suspect is just low potassium. 

I would bring it up to your doctor so they can check it out. New symptoms should always be checked out. I felt like a crazy person at first but just because you have one thing doesn't mean you can't have another. 

4 hours ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

I get something similar. It is intense thigh pain. Usually the first or second day of my period. I also always have varying pain right above my heels on my feet. I dangle them off the bed at night at it is manageable. The thigh pain I suspect is just low potassium. 

I didn’t know thigh pain could be caused by low potassium. Do you have to take supplements?

30 minutes ago, jklass44 said:

I didn’t know thigh pain could be caused by low potassium. Do you have to take supplements?

Potassium and Magnesium too can affect muscles. It can be corrected through diet. Greens tend to have magnesium, spinach a decent amount. Potatoes, bananas, oranges have potassium. I think pork does too. That said, neuropathy and ridiculopathy are usually nerve related. Bad disks, bone spurs and stenosis are often causes. 

9 hours ago, jklass44 said:

No but when I drink vitamin water with extra potassium it makes it go away. I guess it could be any electrolyte, but I vaguely remember low potassium can cause Charlie horses and it is just an assumption. It used to be both thighs when it first started a few years ago but for the last year or so it is only the right one. It feels like someone is twisting the muscle. I constantly rub on it when it happens to get a little relief. It is kind of odd. 

37 minutes ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

No but when I drink vitamin water with extra potassium it makes it go away. I guess it could be any electrolyte, but I vaguely remember low potassium can cause Charlie horses and it is just an assumption. It used to be both thighs when it first started a few years ago but for the last year or so it is only the right one. It feels like someone is twisting the muscle. I constantly rub on it when it happens to get a little relief. It is kind of odd. 

That’s exactly how I would describe it too - twisting the muscle. It’s an odd,  uncomfortable feeling for sure and mine is also usually the right but can be both. I’ll try vitamin water as well!

@JimL Thanks! I do really enjoy spinach so I’ll make sure to keep on with that. I also have some (what’s believed to be) nerve damage in my back from surgery I had years ago, so maybe one of the causes you listed has something to do with it. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nik1980 said:

Thank you all for your kind responses.  It is comforting to have people who actually understand what the h*** I am going through.

It makes a difference to find people that understand. I found a local FB group as well. Maybe you can check that out. Now if only PCPs would get it. The truth is we are where CFS and FM were 25 years ago. Doctors have a habit of putting it in our head if they can't figure it out.