Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FileTrekker

POTS and Ventricular Tachycardia

I've been reading some historic threads on here and it seems to me that a huge number of POTS people on here and elsewhere end up with V-Tach?

I'm really scared of V-Tach. So far I only have isolated PVCs but I get a lot of interpolated PVCs and lots of PVCs in general and this is getting worse. I feel like V-Tach is the next step and I don't know how I will cope mentally when that time comes.

Does anyone have any words of reassurance?

I am not aware that V-Tach is a typical POTS symptom or that POTS progresses to this symptom.  Many of us do have PVCs and PACs which are annoying or disturbing but are benign.

I have had many PVC's when I was first diagnosed and not yet properly medicated. I had them every other beat ( bigeminy ) and several beats in a row ( couplets, triplets etc ). I never developed V-tach and as far a I know V-tach is a different arrhythmia than any you might experience from dysautonomia. That does not mean that you cannot get it but it would not be from dysautonomia - ANYONE can develop it. 

Mine was the other way around, I never had a single symptom of Dysautonomia all my life. My PVCs I started getting about 6 years ago gradually joined together until I got sustained Ventricular Tachycardia, it was the medicine they gave me for it that mucked up my Autonomic Nervous System.

As for the VT, I used to get it constant for up to 12 hours a day and I am still here, it was cured with an ablation 2 years ago, I just get the occasional PVC now and very occasional Bigemini run.

@FileTrekker I’ve had multiple episodes of VT in the past, but they weren’t caused by VPCs and the episodes always ended up resolving on their own. I haven’t had VT since I started Ivabradine last fall. 

4 hours ago, jklass44 said:

@FileTrekker I’ve had multiple episodes of VT in the past, but they weren’t caused by VPCs and the episodes always ended up resolving on their own. I haven’t had VT since I started Ivabradine last fall. 

PVCs are VT, just one after another without a pause, though.

Did you get frequent PVCs before developing VT? There seems to be this progression from all the posts I’ve read on here.

As far as I know Vtach is a series of PVC's more than 6 in a row. 

Yes. My concern is that as my PVC's  have been steadily on the increase since I first developed POTS symptoms that they'll continue to increase until eventually they'll be so frequent they turn into VT.

6 hours ago, FileTrekker said:

PVCs are VT, just one after another without a pause, though.

Did you get frequent PVCs before developing VT? There seems to be this progression from all the posts I’ve read on here.

My apologies, you’re right, I just meant that my random VPCs had never lead to a VT episode. According to my holter monitors the VT would seemingly come out of nowhere, almost like a light switch kind of thing. 

19 minutes ago, jklass44 said:

My apologies, you’re right, I just meant that my random VPCs had never lead to a VT episode. According to my holter monitors the VT would seemingly come out of nowhere, almost like a light switch kind of thing. 

Well, arguably the first PVC in the chain of VT is the PVC that triggered VT, is just how I see it is all.

5 hours ago, FileTrekker said:

Yes. My concern is that as my PVC's  have been steadily on the increase since I first developed POTS symptoms that they'll continue to increase until eventually they'll be so frequent they turn into VT.

That is indeed what happened with mine, a single PVC once a month, three years later they had become m0ore and more frequent until they joined together.

This doesn't mean all PVCs will become more frequent until they become sustained VT though, I think they knew mine would as they said VT become I even got my first VT episode, so guess they can tell by looking at an ECG of a single PVC.  The term "Broad complex QRS" seemed to be the indication.

1 hour ago, Outaker said:

Best thing to do would be to get a kardia band and have your rhythm always monitored. 

Yeah. I do have of those. So far just isolated PVC's and interpolated PVCs, just very frequent.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:58 PM, jklass44 said:

How has the ivabradine been working for you? Did it give you any other symptoms/side effects? How much did it affect your heart rate?

Have you gotten workup from your cardiologist? Most people with dysautonomia have a healthy heart with regular sinus tachycardia.  Everyone (even without POTS) has some irregular heartbeats and they are usually not dangerous, unless your doctor says you are.  When we get POTS we are much more attuned to our heartbeats, so we tend to notice these more and worry more. I certainly wouldn't worry based upon posts in this forum.  

On 3/9/2019 at 12:58 AM, yogini said:

Have you gotten workup from your cardiologist? Most people with dysautonomia have a healthy heart with regular sinus tachycardia.  Everyone (even without POTS) has some irregular heartbeats and they are usually not dangerous, unless your doctor says you are.  When we get POTS we are much more attuned to our heartbeats, so we tend to notice these more and worry more. I certainly wouldn't worry based upon posts in this forum.  

The only issue is I get thousands and thousands every day now whereas before I got dysautonomia I had maybe one or two a month if that.

I was never unfamiliar with them just they've gone from being very very sparodic and occasional to just constant every minute of every day around the clock nonstop.

ECG, Echo, XRay, Blood Tests and Holter all came back fine bar all these PVCs.