POTS and Chemo Questions

MoiraDC

A very good friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer and is going to have to undergo chemotherapy. She also has POTS. Her son and I are at a lost, because we don't know how badly Chemo will mess with her POTS. If anyone has any answers or experiences, please fill us in as we're feeling a little hopeless and lost. No one knows what's going to happen and we're all just looking for answers. Please, anyone who can contribute, do. Thank you.

I am not knowledgeable about the effects of chemo on POTS but I would think that the biggest problem might be the nausea and vomiting that can occur with certain chemo agents. But in any case - chemo is a life-saving medication and there is no way to go without, so you may have to just see what happens. Everybody responds differently, she might do better than you think. I know that IV fluids are many times given to minimize the dehydration from chemo and this is also a very effective treatment for POTS. I know that at our local cancer center the nurses are very good and provide IV fluids when needed and as ordered by the oncologist - that could help with some of her POTS symptoms. Best of luck !!!!!

Guest KiminOrlando

I'm on a low dose chemo for autoimmune issues and it has helped my fainting. It could turn out to be very beneficial. Honestly, you won't know until you try it. Make sure she has good prescription anti nausea medication so she doesn't get dehydrated. Her chemo might not have to be that strong. Chemo has come a long way and is very targeted now so they can use less. 

Could her oncologist coordinate with the dysautonomia dr or do some research? She and you should not have to figure this on your own. In general I think you’d want to monitor her heart rate and blood pressure and make sure she is hydrated, and consider the side effects of the meds/treatments she’s on and how they might affect her HR and BP.