stomach help

I have POTS as well as GI issues including bloating - I personally think it is related to the POTS in my case. Try Fennel seed - it really helps with the bloating if you chew the seeds very good. 

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

I have POTS as well as GI issues including bloating - I personally think it is related to the POTS in my case. Try Fennel seed - it really helps with the bloating if you chew the seeds very good. 

I will definitely try. Thank you

2 hours ago, WinterSown said:

have you had any relief from over the counter products?

The only thing I've tried is Tums and they didn't do anything.

Gastrointestinal bloating is caused by the fermentation of bacteria in the gut.   The human body is incapable of producing gas in the gut...but the bacteria within can be quite prolific with it, especially if you get an imbalance.  Such imbalances can be caused by illnesses (flu & such), bowel preps for colonoscopies, stress, antibiotics, travel, food poisoning, etc.  I'm willing to bet if you think about it, you can probably narrow down what might have caused this to happen. 

The key to fixing it is figuring out which foods the gassy bacteria are most attracted to and avoiding them for a bit.  As StayAtHomeMom suggested, probiotics can be helpful.  Gas relief meds can help as well.  Any "real" food (ie: not processed, doesn't come in a box) like fresh veg, unprocessed meats, soft (real) cheese, fermented foods, are all good places for this.   Your um..gas.. might be able to tell you what's wrong.  If it's sulfur-y, cut back on the meats.  If it's not, cut back on the sugars, carbs, and fruits.  

Sometimes more extreme means are needed to straighten things out. 

5 minutes ago, bunny said:

Gastrointestinal bloating is caused by the fermentation of bacteria in the gut.   The human body is incapable of producing gas in the gut...but the bacteria within can be quite prolific with it, especially if you get an imbalance.  Such imbalances can be caused by illnesses (flu & such), bowel preps for colonoscopies, stress, antibiotics, travel, food poisoning, etc.  I'm willing to bet if you think about it, you can probably narrow down what might have caused this to happen. 

The key to fixing it is figuring out which foods the gassy bacteria are most attracted to and avoiding them for a bit.  As StayAtHomeMom suggested, probiotics can be helpful.  Gas relief meds can help as well.  Any "real" food (ie: not processed, doesn't come in a box) like fresh veg, unprocessed meats, soft (real) cheese, fermented foods, are all good places for this.   Your um..gas.. might be able to tell you what's wrong.  If it's sulfur-y, cut back on the meats.  If it's not, cut back on the sugars, carbs, and fruits.  

Sometimes more extreme means are needed to straighten things out. 

That might explain why my bloating and heartburn issues disappeared when I started Keto. Bread was always my number one culprit for bloating. 

16 hours ago, bunny said:

@StayAtHomeMom: That would definitely explain it.  Bread does a number on my mother as well.  She doesn't have celiac; instead it's simply the gut bacteria she currently has.  

Yea I tested negative for celiac and food allergies. Slight reaction to some outdoor fall molds though. It is kind of bizarre how much better my GI issues are. 

You might also want to consider eating smaller amounts of food at any given time. When dysautonomia is having its way with me (and not just when I am flaring), I usually find relief in splitting my meals in two. So a cup of soup becomes two half cups of soup spaced (consumed) an hour apart, an apple becomes half an apple, and etc. It can get to be a real bother and there are times (days) when I feel like all I'm doing is either eating or preparing food to eat. Still, eating less at any one time helps. 

Additional considerations: 1. Adding certain foods that are regarded as prebiotic to your diet (bananas, apples, asparagus, barley) can make a world of difference. Prebiotic foods contain non digestible fiber that essentially feed the bacteria in your gut. While yes, some can actually (temporarily) make things worse - Brussels sprouts, I'm looking at you - most prebiotic foods are actually fairly easy going on the gut. 2. Try to limit your intake of refined sugars and foods high in processed fats. 3. Keeping a food diary that details not only what you've been eating but how doing so made you feel can help you determine what foods to limit or avoid entirely. 4. Be sure to drink water (either plain or with little more than a squeeze of lemon added to it) whenever you eat a snack or a meal. How much is, of course, up to you. 5. Don't drink soda. It has no nutritional value and the high amounts of sugar in it can easily mess with the rate of your gut motility.

Thanks for the responses. The rolaids didn't do anything for me. Wouldn't tums or rolaids help for bloating or not necessarily?  I am literally bloated 24/7 (I have a visible gut lol) so wouldn't I have to be eating something every single day thats bothering me? I rarely eat processed foods and stopped drinking soda years ago. Perhaps eliminating gluten would be a good start?

@jeff_jefferson2 - my husband had severe problems with bloating and has Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. He used to look like a 5 month pregnant person and also suffered from belching. EGD and colonoscopy and biopsies were all normal. He improved after including pre- and pro-biotics into his diet and cut out certain fats ( such as are in most snack foods ). Also it may be important to notice the appearance of the stool: if it floats there may be an abundance of fats, if it is too loose or too hard it may mean you need to add fiber. I assume that during your surgery you had antibiotics - they CAN ( but do not have to ) cause a change in the amount of bacteria we have in our gut and this can also cause a lot of issues such as bloating and belching. 

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

@jeff_jefferson2 - my husband had severe problems with bloating and has Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. He used to look like a 5 month pregnant person and also suffered from belching. EGD and colonoscopy and biopsies were all normal. He improved after including pre- and pro-biotics into his diet and cut out certain fats ( such as are in most snack foods ). Also it may be important to notice the appearance of the stool: if it floats there may be an abundance of fats, if it is too loose or too hard it may mean you need to add fiber. I assume that during your surgery you had antibiotics - they CAN ( but do not have to ) cause a change in the amount of bacteria we have in our gut and this can also cause a lot of issues such as bloating and belching. 

Thanks for the response. I never had any surgery so I'm not sure what you are referencing. Can you recommend a pre/pro biotic? I've never had them before. Thank you

@jeff_jefferson2 he uses a brand he ordered online, it has both pre-and probiotics. But there are many good brands available at your local pharmacies. They can be pricey but the product he uses is reasonable priced - it is from Spring Valley. But I was told that there is a better one called digestive advantage.