BLOOD SUGAR VARIATIONS... ANYONE ????

Help4Me

HI I am having a very LOW blood sugar attack right now...trying to pull out of it.....my BS dropped very low and I got shaky and weak etc....I drank some ginger ale and ate a fruit yogurt....it is coming back up now...but I still feel really shaky and off....I am supposedly diabetic but I was always able to control it with diet.....and testing frequently all day and adding water to bring it down and not eating sugar etc....after I ate toast and juice this morning my BS went up to 245 ....then I drank a lot of water and watch it as it dropped until I felt faint about  4 hours later .....so I tested and was HYPO very....and had shakes and weakness etc.....so I drank the ginger ale etc to bring it back up....I hope it doesn't do this see saw thing all day.....just wondering if this is part of the AUTONOMIC center or not.....do  any of you have wide fluctuations with Blood sugar ???? Ok thanks

I am not diabetic but suffer from hypoglycemia caused by POTS. When my sugar drops I eat something high in fructose ( like grapes ) and - very important - a protein ( like cheese ). The fructose or glucose will bring the blood sugar up fast and the protein will keep it from dropping again. I have to avoid all sugars in the morning or I get hypoglycemic one hour after breakfast ( you mentioned you had juice ). I eat whole wheat bread with cheese every morning - if I eat cereal or juice or anything sweet I get hypoglycemic. 

3 hours ago, Help4Me said:

HI I am having a very LOW blood sugar attack right now...trying to pull out of it.....my BS dropped very low and I got shaky and weak etc....I drank some ginger ale and ate a fruit yogurt....it is coming back up now...but I still feel really shaky and off....I am supposedly diabetic but I was always able to control it with diet.....and testing frequently all day and adding water to bring it down and not eating sugar etc....after I ate toast and juice this morning my BS went up to 245 ....then I drank a lot of water and watch it as it dropped until I felt faint about  4 hours later .....so I tested and was HYPO very....and had shakes and weakness etc.....so I drank the ginger ale etc to bring it back up....I hope it doesn't do this see saw thing all day.....just wondering if this is part of the AUTONOMIC center or not.....do  any of you have wide fluctuations with Blood sugar ???? Ok thanks

I feel concerned by your stating that you are "supposedly diabetic". You either are or you are not. If you are then you should be treating the condition as your medical professional prescribes. Have you had an A1C test? If not, given what you've described (it is at least my personal opinion that), you should. Wide swings in blood sugar levels, particularly when experienced long term, aren't to be taken lightly. (Over time they can cause significant harm throughout the body.)

By the way, drinking water won't bring your blood sugar back down. That's your pancreas at work releasing insulin via its beta cells.

Oh and, it is not at all uncommon for people with POTS to experience the occasional hiccup with respect to their blood sugar levels. Why that is and what exactly is going on can be (sometimes very) hard to determine. Personally, I sometimes feel low blood sugar even when I'm not. (As verified by my testing my blood sugar levels with a glucose meter.) When I feel that way, my solution has long been to sit quietly and wait things out. Or, if and when I feel it will help, I'll munch on half an apple and a half dozen or so crackers or Cheetos or a few small pretzels. By the way, I don't have diabetes but I do have dysautonomia/POTS. 

4 hours ago, ScottS said:

I feel concerned by your stating that you are "supposedly diabetic". You either are or you are not. If you are then you should be treating the condition as your medical professional prescribes. Have you had an A1C test? If not, given what you've described (it is at least my personal opinion that), you should. Wide swings in blood sugar levels, particularly when experienced long term, aren't to be taken lightly. (Over time they can cause significant harm throughout the body.)

By the way, drinking water won't bring your blood sugar back down. That's your pancreas at work releasing insulin via its beta cells.

Oh and, it is not at all uncommon for people with POTS to experience the occasional hiccup with respect to their blood sugar levels. Why that is and what exactly is going on can be (sometimes very) hard to determine. Personally, I sometimes feel low blood sugar even when I'm not. (As verified by my testing my blood sugar levels with a glucose meter.) When I feel that way, my solution has long been to sit quietly and wait things out. Or, if and when I feel it will help, I'll munch on half an apple and a half dozen or so crackers or Cheetos or a few small pretzels. By the way, I don't have diabetes but I do have dysautonomia/POTS. 

My son sometimes acts like he has low blood sugar, but his sugar is fine. And as soon as he eats he feels better. I thought it was just him being a teenager. Guess I will have to add that to his list of symptoms. 

Just other day i had a blood sugar drop after hour of just eating food

I find when my pots is bad it brings them on didnt help in hostpital so i helped myself sugar in water yack but affective i think u need go see your doctor it very dangrous get plan of action to help it hope u get sorted