Favorite way to have your coffee?

potsiebarbie

Thanks to POTS my gut motility slows to a crawl without my daily couple/several cups of Joe. I drink half decaf/half regular (made via the pour over method using a Hario V60, size 02 dripper) with every meal. I'll sometimes flavor it/sweeten it with some home made vanilla syrup. My recipe: put 1 cup organic sugar and 1/2 cup coconut or brown sugar in a quart pot with 1 1/4 cups filtered water. Slowly bring the solution to a boil. Stir for a minute or two to fully dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes (or longer for a thicker syrup). Set aside to cool. (Easier to do in the winter here in Utah.) Add and stir in well 4 tablespoons of vanilla extract. I suppose using a split vanilla bean would be preferable to the extract.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:49 AM, potsiebarbie said:

For coffee drinkers, what's your favorite way to have it?

I'm sitting here drinking my eight o'clock coffee with milk in it feeling like I could use a change! 

Honestly I only drink coffee to get a boost. No matter the flavor or whatever. I'm a coffee rookie, BUT since September after my 3rd faint spell, I can't tolerate much caffeine anymore. It makes me feel sick and shake. Even too large of a Coke will have me messed up. I found this out by drinking a large Coke from McDonald's. I was so sick I missed one of my doctor's appointments. Then I tested the waters again, same result. Boo.

1 hour ago, Derek1987 said:

Honestly I only drink coffee to get a boost. No matter the flavor or whatever. I'm a coffee rookie, BUT since September after my 3rd faint spell, I can't tolerate much caffeine anymore. It makes me feel sick and shake. Even too large of a Coke will have me messed up. I found this out by drinking a large Coke from McDonald's. I was so sick I missed one of my doctor's appointments. Then I tested the waters again, same result. Boo.

I feel for you. I can only do one cup a day. I used to drink it all day long. If I did that now I'd die. Lol 

Ooooh, we have become coffee snobs!  We built our own house and did not have electricity for a bit, so we had to have coffee kind of old-fashioned.  My husband got a hand-pump espresso maker so we started making 2-shot espresso with Cuban (Bustelo) coffee and then we would boil the milk with a tsp of vanilla and 5 tsps of local maple syrup (for 2 coffees).  Once the milk was boiling we would use a frother, pour it all in a mug and top it with a cinnamon and sugar sprinkle!  We just recently bought an electric espresso maker to use on sunny days (we have solar power) and it even steams/froths the milk!  I might have to try that syrup recipe though with the coconut sugar.  

20 hours ago, Derek1987 said:

Funny but I can't drink Coke (or pretty much anything caffeinated with that much sugar in it) but I do alright with my half decaf/half regular coffee with maybe a teaspoon of my homemade vanilla sugar syrup mixed in. So, plainly, it's the (excess of) sugar that sets my system off and not the caffeine.

Coffee addict here! I love coffee, no sugar and a bit more light than regular. Eight O'Clock is my go to in the supermarket. I use the brew cup in the keurig, there's one dribbling out right now. I'm having the Colombian from AmazonFresh--it's quite good; I've added it my subscription deliveries. Nummy, nummy brew.

On 1/19/2019 at 7:46 PM, MeganMN said:

Ooooh, we have become coffee snobs!  We built our own house and did not have electricity for a bit, so we had to have coffee kind of old-fashioned.  My husband got a hand-pump espresso maker so we started making 2-shot espresso with Cuban (Bustelo) coffee and then we would boil the milk with a tsp of vanilla and 5 tsps of local maple syrup (for 2 coffees).  Once the milk was boiling we would use a frother, pour it all in a mug and top it with a cinnamon and sugar sprinkle!  We just recently bought an electric espresso maker to use on sunny days (we have solar power) and it even steams/froths the milk!  I might have to try that syrup recipe though with the coconut sugar.  

Oh my goodness! I'm having coffee at your house. Lol That sounds amazing! 

On 1/22/2019 at 7:54 AM, WinterSown said:

Coffee addict here! I love coffee, no sugar and a bit more light than regular. Eight O'Clock is my go to in the supermarket. I use the brew cup in the keurig, there's one dribbling out right now. I'm having the Colombian from AmazonFresh--it's quite good; I've added it my subscription deliveries. Nummy, nummy brew.

Eight o'clock is my go to too! My mother in law introduced me to it. 

On 1/22/2019 at 6:48 AM, Conyers said:

It's going to be a boring answer from me. I prefer regular coffee with milk and sugar. I do like all the different blends and types too, I just end up defaulting back to the good old regular. haha

I generally just do a little milk or half n half in mine. Sometimes I need a change, but eventually just back to a splash of milk. Lol

3 hours ago, potsiebarbie said:

I generally just do a little milk or half n half in mine. Sometimes I need a change, but eventually just back to a splash of milk. Lol

I don't like the flavored creamers. I want plain jane joe with plain jane moo juice.

A cup a cup a cup.

I just bought a bag of "Organic Ethiopian Yirgacheffe". (Try saying that with your mouth full of cinnamon gummy bears. In fact, try saying anything with your mouth full of cinnamon gummy bears.)

First brew, I disliked it immensely. I thought it heavy tasting and bitter, and yet somehow dull and otherwise flavorless. Second brew I adjusted the temp of the water down 10 or so degrees (to around 190° F). I also limited the time I left the grounds to sit blooming. (Brewing pour over style, medium fine grind.) Ah, there it is. Sweet, fruity overtones with a hint of caramel/toffee, just as advertised. Soft on the tongue. A bit effervescent even. No wonder so many left positive feedback. (Purchased from Blue Macaw Coffee Roasters via eBay, 2 pounds for $23.00, shipping included. And no, I'll not be compensated.)

On 1/24/2019 at 4:28 PM, WinterSown said:

If you can find it, Fairway has a brew called 'Life Begins After 40' which is supposedly the brew used by the FDNY. I've bought it by the bag many times when it's available but it sells out fast.

FDNY? Fire Department of New York? Fairway? I had to do an internet search for that one. A chain of grocery stores. I live in high Rocky Mountain Utah. The local stores are Smiths and Fresh Market. Oh and, of course, Trader Joes. The best local coffee shop (in Salt Lake City) is called "The Rose". They sell "Sweet Bloom" coffee from a Colorado based roaster. Nice coffee. Their decaf is one of the better ones I've tasted (and goes well with a wide variety of regular/caffeinated ).

2 hours ago, ScottS said:

FDNY? Fire Department of New York? Fairway? I had to do an internet search for that one. A chain of grocery stores. I live in high Rocky Mountain Utah. The local stores are Smiths and Fresh Market. Oh and, of course, Trader Joes. The best local coffee shop (in Salt Lake City) is called "The Rose". They sell "Sweet Bloom" coffee from a Colorado based roaster. Nice coffee. Their decaf is one of the better ones I've tasted (and goes well with a wide variety of regular/caffeinated ).

Fairway in Garden City. We have a few Fresh Markets here and TJs too. 

• 5 months later...