Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
potsiebarbie

Homemade electrolyte drink recipes

What's the most "natural" way to get in those electrolytes? Does anybody have any recipes for homemade electrolyte drinks? Don't get me wrong, I love me some Gatorade and Powerade, but I could do without the sugar and junk. 

Here is an old german trick my mother used for us when we were kids and had stomach upset and diarrhea: put salt in ginger ale. It takes the fizz out but doesn't tast too bad. And between the ginger, salt and sugar it is a great substitute for expensive drinks!!!!!

My son has POTS and because he is 6’6” tall his doctors want him drinking a minimum of 4 liters of water a day.  For my son we add 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp nusalt (salt substitute found near salt that gives you potassium) per liter of water.  We then add fruit simple syrup to taste to flavor the water. I make the simple syrup with whatever fruit is in season (you can also make the syrup with frozen fruit). We also like to use sparking water on occasion make an electrolyte soda.

Fruit simple syrup recipe:

4 parts fruit

1 part water

1 part sweetener; sugar, honey maple syrup, or agave work well (if you use agave use a lessor amount)

Simmer for 20-30 minutes (until fruit is very soft). Purée and strain if necessary. 

Store in the fridge.

Guest ScottS
8 hours ago, Pistol said:

Here is an old german trick my mother used for us when we were kids and had stomach upset and diarrhea: put salt in ginger ale. It takes the fizz out but doesn't tast too bad. And between the ginger, salt and sugar it is a great substitute for expensive drinks!!!!!

I'll have to try that one. Thanks ;)