Homemade electrolyte drink recipes

potsiebarbie

Here is an old german trick my mother used for us when we were kids and had stomach upset and diarrhea: put salt in ginger ale. It takes the fizz out but doesn't tast too bad. And between the ginger, salt and sugar it is a great substitute for expensive drinks!!!!!

My son has POTS and because he is 6’6” tall his doctors want him drinking a minimum of 4 liters of water a day.  For my son we add 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp nusalt (salt substitute found near salt that gives you potassium) per liter of water.  We then add fruit simple syrup to taste to flavor the water. I make the simple syrup with whatever fruit is in season (you can also make the syrup with frozen fruit). We also like to use sparking water on occasion make an electrolyte soda.

Fruit simple syrup recipe:

4 parts fruit

1 part water

1 part sweetener; sugar, honey maple syrup, or agave work well (if you use agave use a lessor amount)

Simmer for 20-30 minutes (until fruit is very soft). Purée and strain if necessary. 

Store in the fridge.

8 hours ago, Pistol said:

Here is an old german trick my mother used for us when we were kids and had stomach upset and diarrhea: put salt in ginger ale. It takes the fizz out but doesn't tast too bad. And between the ginger, salt and sugar it is a great substitute for expensive drinks!!!!!

I'll have to try that one. Thanks ;)

• 2 years later...

You can try one based off LMNT recipe.

16 oz water

1/2 teaspoon salt (Celtic sea salt or Redman real‘s)

1/16 heaping teaspoon potassium citrate powder (source nutrition brand)

1/8 teaspoon epson salts

1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon Stevia extract powder

1000 MG sodium

200 MG potassium

60 MG magnesium

20 minutes ago, MarcoS108 said:

You can try one based off LMNT recipe.

16 oz water

1/2 teaspoon salt (Celtic sea salt or Redman real‘s)

1/16 heaping teaspoon potassium citrate powder (source nutrition brand)

1/8 teaspoon epson salts

1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon Stevia extract powder

1000 MG sodium

200 MG potassium

60 MG magnesium

I would use caution with salts with the folks that have heart issues. salt aggravates things (hard to pump blood) uptick in potassium can also be bad.

34 minutes ago, CallieAndToby22 said:

I need an electrolyte drink without any fruit, citric acid, or potassium as I have severe Interstitial Cystitis and those things lead to flare. All I can't drink is water and vanilla almond milk atm. Anything flavored vanilla would work for me and I do have stevia drink flavor drops. 

My Mum went with Ensure. Not sure if it helped but she did seem to like the benifits.

On 8/27/2021 at 6:24 PM, MikeO said:

My Mum went with Ensure. Not sure if it helped but she did seem to like the benifits.

Well the ensure drinks are like a meal replacement so they have tons of stuff in it that bother me and not really proper for electrolyte. I know they have a lot of vitamins and minerals and things like the B vitamins and Vitamin C make me quite sick. I just need something plain and simple. 

@CallieAndToby22 I also have interstitial cystitis and have had better luck with any of the electrolyte powders that come in the powder packets (that don’t have the effervescence) like SOS  or Liquid IV. I used to drink Nuun daily and it kills me now, the acid and the carbonation. I was hesitant to try something else but was pleasantly surprised that I only had the mildest urinary symptoms with the liquid IV in several flavors: guava, watermelon, açaí berry or the watermelon SOS.

38 minutes ago, Hippopotsamus said:

@CallieAndToby22 I also have interstitial cystitis and have had better luck with any of the electrolyte powders that come in the powder packets (that don’t have the effervescence) like SOS  or Liquid IV. I used to drink Nuun daily and it kills me now, the acid and the carbonation. I was hesitant to try something else but was pleasantly surprised that I only had the mildest urinary symptoms with the liquid IV in several flavors: guava, watermelon, açaí berry or the watermelon SOS.

Thank you. Yes I have horrible time with acidity and carbonation. Gatorade just leaves me in misery! I still wish there was something IC friendly with no citric acid and no potassium, etc. I think they could do vanilla or chocolate flavoring, or cinnamon, anything but the fruit.