Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FileTrekker

Major anxiety and PVC attack

My PVCs have been gradually increasing the last few days following a bit of a respite over Christmas. Yesterday though things really took a nosedive. I’ve been feeling like I’m in a constant state of anxiety / panic, which then pushed the PVCs to be even more frequent. Last night I barely slept at all. I kept waking up in a state of panic, whenever I either doze off, dream or start to wake up, I’m panicking about my thoughts, often they’re not real problems, just made up problems in my head, or even just a sense of panic about nothing at all. I’m very on edge and snapping at anyone who tries to talk to me for example. I’m exhausted tired and utterly fed up. My PVCs are probably about 5 per minute if not more, with short runs of bi and trigeminy and my PoTS symptoms are just off the charts today.

Does anyone have any experience with episodes like this? If so how do you cope?

Yes @FileTrekker - I know what you are describing. All of this - PVC's, irritability, insomnia, anxiety - is usually caused by too much norepinephrine, a common symptom of POTS. Unfortunately the only thing that has been proven effective for me is rest ( in addition to meds ). If I push myself too hard and get to the stage that you are in right now I HAVE to retreat, lie down, have an absolut quiet environamnt for a while. Once everything calms down I have to get back to being active slowly but most of the time I can be down for days. There are no meds that help me once I left myself get that bad. And yes - I could rip someone's head off just by saying Hello to me!!! It is part of the fight-or-flight response, sympathetic overcompensation. So - be gentle to yourself, you cannot push through this. Rest, relax, drink fluids, avoid stimulation like conversation, TV etc. And then - once you are calmer again - take your time with EVERYTHING or you will be right back to being like this. Listen to your body - when you start to feel overwhelmed sit down, take long, deep breaths in and out ( smell the roses and blow out the candle - in through you nose and out through your mouth. Try to think just about your breathing - this will calm the racing thoughts and slow your heart . It will be OK - trust me, I have been there many, many times. 

Filetrekker....I also have those same attacks.....In addition to what pistol said which is all great advice...I also add Ice packs to my chest....and behind my neck.....and sometimes under my underarms.....for some reason that seems to slow my heart rate down and calm me a bit.......which one of the BETA blockers is good for lowering the noepinephrine....??? I think it is Clonidine..I have that and I have Propanolol...today I took the Propanolol.....I just take 1/4 of a pill when My symptoms get bad.........

Thanks guys.

The PVCs are still bad but the anxiety is settling a little. Cardiologist has ordered a plasma blood test of some sort to check for Adrenalin / Noradrenalin aka Epinephrine / Norepinehrine levels I believe. He wants to investigate the possibility of a problem with the adrenal gland if they are very elevated, just to see what the situation is there.

Nurse stabbed me in the hand about 4 times trying to suck blood out of me though. It's hard to get blood off me these days lol. Hands are bruised as anything. :(

Have you talk to a electrophysiologist about his thought?, maybe a ablation would be worth considering. If you’re having them as  frequent as you are. maybe you do have a extra pathway In your heart they could get rid of.

My cardiologist is also an electrophysiologist but the subject of ablation has not come up. I'm not sure but I think my PVCs are multifocal as I get a lot of couplets / interpolated PVCs so it's unlikely an ablation would work in that situation, I believe it is only useful in unifocal PVCs.

5 hours ago, FileTrekker said:

My cardiologist is also an electrophysiologist but the subject of ablation has not come up. I'm not sure but I think my PVCs are multifocal as I get a lot of couplets / interpolated PVCs so it's unlikely an ablation would work in that situation, I believe it is only useful in unifocal PVCs.

Well d*** that sucks, I’m sorry you have to deal with PVCs all day long, has to get pretty annoying. On top of everything else.