Salads trigger my symptoms... what are your trigger foods?

Hi @Crazycatlady - I have very bad stomach issues from POTS and I also can get very symptomatic after eating. I have not yet found any one food that does this, it appears to be more of the act of eating ( triggers ANS ). But due to my GI issues I am on a diet that is easy to digest and salads are one of the things I have to avoid. I was told that raw fruit and vegetables cause more stomach acid during digestion. I only eat cooked vegetables and do fine. - Also you mentioned medium or large salads - it could be the amount of food as well. Large meals are also a trigger, so I was told to eat 6 small meals or snacks a day and avoid large meals. And pizza is a very heavy and greasy meal, loaded with carbs which are hard to digest, therefore also cause the ANS to concentrate on supplying the digestive tract with circulation and causing POTS symptoms like tachycardia or BP changes. 

Food is a trigger--volume is my biggest enemy. My digestion, in to out, is very wonky. I do better if I eat small meals. I am intolerant to high fat--soon finds me doubled-over and sobbing in the throne room. I have a few IBS and Chrohns books here with info and recipes--I fall back to a butternut soup recipe  on bad days (cannot believe how awesome and yum and no bloat this is). I bought the books used online with free shipping so no great expense to have them as a reference. I've been having a flare the past few months and have been seeing the procto again, I now have another script for PT or biofeedback (as he calls it) to help with motility--it's going to be core. I'm already doing this at PT but it's going to step it up.  The advice is to eat less, don't eat what will trigger you, and don't eat what you think may trigger you--trust your instincts. Eat better and you feel better. 

He also told me a couple of years ago to cook everything---no raw fruits or veggies. Then slowly add them back in. I do well with melons but half a Cutie give me a bellyache--sigh. Cooking was helpful--it cut down on a huge amount of bloat. Cooked veggies and fruits do digest faster.

Guest ScottS

Food is also a trigger for me, and too volume my enemy. I also have to be very careful when eating raw veggies and (certain) fruits. I've spent many a night waiting out my gut as it flip flops about for (what seems to me) no good reason as I am not only very careful with what I eat but almost religious in how it's prepared. One thing that works for me (assists in speeding up my normally slow gut) is a cup of decaf coffee. Staying well hydrated (after a meal) can also make a world of difference. 

31 minutes ago, ScottS said:

Food is also a trigger for me, and too volume my enemy. I also have to be very careful when eating raw veggies and (certain) fruits. I've spent many a night waiting out my gut as it flip flops about for (what seems to me) no good reason as I am not only very careful with what I eat but almost religious in how it's prepared. One thing that works for me (assists in speeding up my normally slow gut) is a cup of decaf coffee. Staying well hydrated (after a meal) can also make a world of difference. 

I drink coffee a lot. Are you choosing decaf because otherwise it makes you hyper? Sometimes I drink plain hot water with a lemon wedge.

Guest ScottS

I can handle caffeine if it' s delivered via a small piece of dark chocolate or the occasional cup of white tea just fine. On occasion I'll even go half decaf (equal parts decaf and regular) though 1/3 regular with 2/3 decaf is usually more my speed. However, a straight cup of regular coffee is too much. I don't  so much get hyper POTS (with the accompanying anxiety) from that level of caffeine as get wiped out by what it does to my gut (most often due to the sheer intensity of the peristaltic waves it can sometimes trigger). I've squeezed a wedge or two of lemon into lemongrass tea (for the added flavor) but it doesn't seem to affect my gut motility the way coffee does. 

On 1/3/2019 at 11:40 PM, Crazycatlady said:

Pretty sure it might just be the salad... lots of fiber... maybe IBS related?

what was it about the pizza ? Do you know? That’s a total bummer !

The crust. I am on keto now and my GI issues are lots better. When I first got sick anything bready or "heavy" made me feel bloated and I wouldn't be hungry. Also felt like I was pregnant and the baby was pushing on my lungs. 

Guest ScottS
8 hours ago, Pistol said:

@ScottS - have you ever tried green tea? This contains caffeine but is much gentler on the stomach. And healthy, too!

I love the flavor of (Green Tea) Imperial Jasmine Pearls but sadly something there causes me stomach upsets. Curiously, Black Dragon Pearls don't have the same effect. Odd, I know.